No announcement yet.

xsi b16 or ls/vtec

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i never said anything about ls/vtec not being good and reliable.. i was just referring to the statement g2invador said.. "dont get fool by cheap stuff"

Comment

i allready have seen many ls/vtec smoking a lot of original g3 gsr with work on the motor , people the i know .
      b18/vtec and b20/vtec , a lot of guys are scared cause of that ...
      they usually rebuild everything before putting it together , and when they do that , the get real parts .
      u guys be surprise from what i see on new york , well , not surprise but confuse , when u see an old ef with rust and dents , and when u pop the hood some crazy 3000 fankenstain.

Comment

ls/vtec should not be a choice for someone who doesn't know the difference between how it will compare to a b16. it should not be a "first-timer" motor. if you want to build a motor, build the LS. vtec is cool, but pissing on vtec with torque is cooler.

Comment

yes, pissin on a vtec motor is nice, but pulling on a b20 da9 with a b16 da9 is just at fun.

Comment

i don't know bout u guys but, my DA that is 180,000 miles old is whopping ass though. a b16 in a DA just barley hanging wit a 00 Si. but really, u just got to know how to play tricks wit ur Ls. but dang, i want VTEC in my DA. i have pretty much all the bolts-on accept for headers. and i have a b16 ecu modified by ZDYNE. i'm hangin wit my cuz 96 GSR. his GSR got DC headers, ICEMAN intake, mag wires, Denso Iridium, and B&M fuel reg. he ain't no pro neither am i.

Comment

wow, you guys make the b16 out to be slow. I've beat h22 ludes, dc gsr's, and all kinds of stuff, and i know for a fact that my b16 is quicker than my old ls. Actually i beat a dc gsr that just got done beating an ls/vtec (in a dc) but the ls/vtec was built cheaply. I really haven't got many mods but my xsi(92) b16 seems to run pretty stout.

Comment

I just finished up my ls/vtec and would not trade it for anything. My buddy has a b16b (ctr) in his ek, and I'm not even impressed by that. My SLIGHTLY built, non-tuned, ls/v with b16 tranny runs with my buddies turbo gsr(dc) till 3rd, then he pulls me.

Comment

If you go xsi b16 run a b16 tranny and swap in itr crank, rods, pistons. Poor mans stroker kit.

If you go ls/vtec run a b16 or gsr tranny and try to get your hands on some p30 or pr3 pistons to up the compression.

My $0.02 on some great platforms to build up.

Comment

Originally posted by whoa its len 2
                    If you go xsi b16 run a b16 tranny and swap in itr crank, rods, pistons. Poor mans stroker kit.
                    I'm sorry, but that sounds like the stupid man's stroker kit....

The B16A block has a 7mm shorter deck than the B18A/B/C and B20B/Z block. If you tried to put ITR crank and rods in a B16A, the pistons will be sitting 7mm above the block. Let's just say that it isn't a good idea....

If it were that easy to stroke a B16A, it would be done left and right...

Comment

^^ Thanks for the heads up and cartoon. 7mm headgasket for the win!

My bad custom rods would be needed. I was thinking B16B.

Comment

ok so b16 looks like the way in my eyes. but what is the "proper" way to build a ls/vtec?

Comment

all new gaskets, arp rod and head bolts. just don't go cheap on anything, make sure the heads shaved vtec oil galley pluged properly and oil line ran good. just common stuff, just don't say "well its not in good shape but it'll be alright for now" on any parts.

Comment

I just droped a JDM B16A1 into my 91', I'm running a full MSD ignition, front mount col air, full DC exhaust into a high flow cat, spoon chiped pr3 ecu & a LSD tranny. Have not driven it as of yet to much snow, how do you honestly think this car would do?

Comment

well i got the jdm b16a also (92 supposed to be 170hp stock), intake, s2 i.m. and cam gears, header, all that other small shit that every1 gets and mine outran a lot of shit. gsr's,h22 ludes, but i did get beat by a ls/turbo Ate his ass out to about 70 or 75 then i heard wwwwssssss, pppppsssshhhhhh. and well he walked past me like it was nothing.

Comment

b16's respond a lot better to mods than b18a, i can tell you that much. just I/H/E and CSR cams on obd0, untuned runs pretty well.

And in terms of whats considered a good ls/vtec build... well best advice is DONT CUT ANY CORNERS. Getting it built it easy, making is reliable is the hard part.

Comment

Working...
                                X