B18A1 cams...What to expect?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B18A1 cams...What to expect?

Hey guys, I have I/H/E, and would like to upgrade to complete Crower valvetrain with the 402 cams, dual-springs, retainers, and Skunk2 Gears. I am also wanting to run a tuned or flashed ECU. What are your opinions on the above if you have done them in a B18A1 motor? Also, what type of ECU tuning can I use on the non-Vtec motor?

Thanks!

for the fellow g2ic'r

Comment

Yeah, good topic. I want to know as well. Come Feb. I'm gettin I/H/E & plan
      to get the cams, gears, & retainers soon after.

Comment

well it depends on how much power u want to make actually. Personally i think the 402's is a waste of money, u may notice alil gain, but i dont think its worth it. If u dont want to touch ur bottom end, i'd go with 403's instead, u'll be much happier with the end result.

i have 404's and im hoping to break 13's in my car. As for tuning, it depends on who u can find to tune it, cause some tuners only use specific programs.

Uberdata, Chrome, Neptune, Hondata

Comment

i just installed the 402's this weekend. i thought the gains were pretty nice. yeah, its not the most aggressive cam, but its pretty good to keep serious reliability. in a way, i do kind of wish i went with the 403's though. on a VERY interesting note, i can now beat a g3 GS-R. its a damn close race, but i can pull him now.
          sigpic
          **follow my build thread**

Comment

i put down 160whp on stock cat back...with crower cams and whole valve train, skunk2 im, 70mm tb, bbk cold air, header, and all that little shit

Comment

Hey, I was wondering if you took the gsr from a stop. I know everyone's against street racing, but I havent' had a lot to compare my car to. I only ran a 15.5\6 with 403's untuned and I\H\E. I had bad traction though.

Comment

i'm against street racing myself, but this was done on a private section of road so there is never traffic there. yeah i know its still street racing, but at least no one other than the two participants were in danger. it was practically a private driveway in all technicalities, almost a straight half mile and only one house on the road. but anyway, it was from a dead stop. one run on the highway, from a "40 roll" he did take me, but i missed 3rd.

anyway, all irresponsability aside, i think the 402's are a decent cam. especially if they give me that kind of results WITH NO tuning done. everything was set at TDC. the car will be properly tuned either this weekend or next. but even if i don't tune it, i'm pretty happy with the results. so if i can't shell out the cash for a good tune, then i'll be happy with what i've got until i can get it tuned. my gas mileage has shown almost no noticeable differences. i might be getting a little less mpg, but i can't say thats because of the cams as i have a couple races on this tank.
                sigpic
                **follow my build thread**

Comment

if you're going to upgrade your entire valvetrain with crower stuff, you might as well go with a more aggressive cam

Comment

my setup is I/H/E with crower 403's B16 tranny and soon to be tuned on Neptune. I love it. but if you're gonna do your valvetrain go with 404's

Blacknight-i ran a 15.3 with I/H/E and 403's stock ecu, tranny, clutch, and flywheel with full interior and shitty tires

Comment

Comment

Alright, Crower 403's, springs, retainers, and S2 Gears. Can I use an A'Pexi S-AFC or GReddy E-Manage to tune it or should I use Hondata? I also have a Zex kit that I am wanting to use after the new valvetrain. Which programming will be best to use with everything?

Comment

check out Brian Crower cams. It's the same company as Crower, just the import division. The BC street cams ( i think thats what theyre called) and identical to the 403's and they cost less. check them out.

http://www.briancrower.com/
                          Last edited by ivegotbawls; 15 Nov 2007, 02:43:07.

Comment

well if it makes any of you feel bad, I ran a 15.2 in my LS all it has is SRI and 7lb flywheel, full weight decent tires and wheel hop all of 1st gear and still netted a crazy low time, which shocked me. Motor isn't new either it's the original motor with 190,000 miles on it, and runs like it's brand new. I've beat a couple of bolt-on gsr's and hung with more heavily modded ones from a roll, majority of them didn't wanna do a dead stop run. I'm thinking of doing the whole crower valvetrain and 404's and putting a nice header and exhaust on and see what I can break hopefully 13's! BTW with the 404's I would recommend putting a vtec water pump and oil pump on the car, to make use of the cams you will be revving higher, and if your keeping the bottom end stock the last thing you wanna do is spin a rod bearing.

Comment

Working...
                            X