s3 light blinking? stuck, won't start

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• s3 light blinking? stuck, won't start

I just bought a 1990 Integra LS(auto) last week. When i first got the car it wouldnt shift into 4th gear for about 30 seconds at almost redline rpms, then all of a sudden it just shifted and smooth too. Now when i drive it it won't shift into 3rd gear at all. I noticed that when i start the car the s3 light flashes and then the p for park turns on. Another thing that i noticed is that i can shift between neutral, drive and s without pressing the button on the shifter. A friend said it may be a problem with the vacumn modulator, another friend said that the computer chip that controls shifting could be bad. What do you all think? does anyone know what i should test or look for to solve this problem?

I might be able to help you on the flashing s3 light... when I had my auto, my s3 light was flashing... after many visits to the old mechanic, he found that it was the shift selonoid (sp?) <---- thats the hardest word to spell...

NE ways..... its a little piston looking thing on the top of the tranny kind of facing the battery. I think there are 2 of them. He ran a couple tests and found the one that was bad then prob fixed!

I dont know what to tell you otherwise.... maybe look into a 5spd conv??

HTH

Dev
    04' Subaru WRX
    Stock... for now...
    92' GS-R
    b17 I/H/E 235k miles and runnin' strong!! Sold 9/24/10 :(
    90' GS Sedan
    B20B I/H/E... R.I.P. 9/12/03

"I'm all for America... FU(K the government!" Eminem

Comment

I found what you described, its right next to the tranny fluid dipstick right? In my repair manual its called the vacumn modulator. Does that sound right? Anyway i think its the problem does anyone know how i could go about testing this thing?

Comment

Ya... that sounds like the culprit!! If i remember correctly, when my mechanic was testing it, he used this little contraption thing. Not sure what it was but he hooked it up to the vacuum modulator and was able to engage and disengage it to see if it was working properly. He had to do it while I was driving also. I wish i could help ya out more... oh... does your tourqe convertor still kick in for your "overdrive" so to speak? That was another prob that I had with that part... Well hope this all helps... let me know if you have any other q's and ill try to help!

Dev
        04' Subaru WRX
        Stock... for now...
        92' GS-R
        b17 I/H/E 235k miles and runnin' strong!! Sold 9/24/10 :(
        90' GS Sedan
        B20B I/H/E... R.I.P. 9/12/03

"I'm all for America... FU(K the government!" Eminem

Comment

Hey, I was looking in rec.autos.makers.honda newsgroup & saw this posting under "Integra auto tranny problem" - here's what they wrote, hope this helps!

Subject: Re: Integra auto tranny problem
          Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.honda

Date: 2002-08-20 18:38:39 PST
          As a followup to this thread, it looks like (once again) George was
          spot on! The resistance to the "A" solenoid is essentially zero,
          while that of the "B" solenoid is a respectable 15 ohms. Looks like
          the computer detected the shorted "A" solenoid! and set the code.
          Now, to swap in a new set of solenoids and I should be on my way!
          Thanks again

Corey

[email protected] (Corey872) wrote in message news:<[email protected] com>...
          > [email protected] (George Macdonald) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
          > > On 17 Aug 2002 09:46:21 -0700, [email protected] (Corey872) wrote:
          > George...
          >
          > Once again delivering excellent info! You are a great asset to this group.
          >
          > Thanks again!
          >
          > Corey
          >
          > > >I have a 92 Acura Integra transmission control computer displaying an
          > > >error code 7. Car seems to only use gears 2 and 3 although it's up on
          > > >blocks at the moment so I haven't really gunned it.
          > > >
          > > >Does anyone out there have a list of codes for the transmission
          > > >computer? Or can at least tell me what "7" is indicating.
          > >
          > > Seems to be to do with the shift control solenoid valve A. The manual
          > > suggests checking the connector and wiring - otherwise it's a faulty valve.
          > > From the diagrams, there are 4 cylindrical shaped housing valves on the
          > > front of the trans case - the top two are the lock-up controls and the
          > > bottom two are the shift controls, valve A being the lower of each pair.
          > > IOW the one you want to look at is the bottom of the four.
          > >

Comment

the s3 is supposed to light up when you start the car then go to P for park.. as for not pressing the button you DONT have to press the button when you go from D to s4 and vice versa you do have to when going from P to R and N to R and also you have to press the button from s3/4 to 2.

Comment

car wont start! S3 light blinking....

Ok here is the senario...it happens once in a while....at the begining my car will start fine...no problems at all......you follow me here right?? ok then i stop somewhere for like 10 minutes lets say the gas station....i turn the car off and when I go to restart it...it just cranks...and doesn't turn on....and while its cranking the S3 light begins to blink.

So i sit there for like 10 more minutes then try to restart it...and it starts back up with no problems! its driving me crazy I have no idea what this may be about anyone got any advice?

its done it maybe like 7 times in the last year...its really weird.

Comment

That S3 light is a transmission check / warning light. There's a problem there. You got the helms? Look through their troubleshooting for the code it's shooting out.
                NEIL B. - 1991 DA945. Owner since 1997.
                May 2017 ODOMETER: 605K km / 376K miles.
                ANYONE CAN BUY A NEW CAR. IT TAKES A TRUE ENTHUSIAST TO BREATHE LIFE INTO AN OLDER ONE.

SUPPORT G2IC BY VISITING THE G2IC STORE TO GET OFFICIAL G2IC CLOTHING AND DECALS

Comment

I'm guessing somewhat but it seems maybe its the coil intermitently either the connections or the coil itself. When that happens, you get the S3 light blinking and no spark. The code is eleven blinks. Check the blinks on the TCM under the dash.
                  1956 Ford F100 Custom pickup, Chevy powered
                  1992 Integra GS LS/VTEC
                  2015 Porsche Macan (Arriving Jul 2014)

Comment

Originally posted by N FUL FX
                    That S3 light is a transmission check / warning light. There's a problem there. You got the helms? Look through their troubleshooting for the code it's shooting out.
                    Ok thanks for the tip...but where can I find the "Helms"? I have no idea what that is...I don't really know much about cars...so you gotta break it down for me

Comment

Originally posted by OldGuy
                      I'm guessing somewhat but it seems maybe its the coil intermitently either the connections or the coil itself. When that happens, you get the S3 light blinking and no spark. The code is eleven blinks. Check the blinks on the TCM under the dash.
                      So the coil huh...hmmm i had that worked on like 2 years ago...it was done for free cause Acura had a recall on it...ohh and one more thing...what is the TCM????? is it located in my car?

Comment

Transmission Control Module. Its like a mini computer for the automatic trans. It is up under the dash above the steering column. There is a LED that blinks the error codes when you turn the key to on but don't start the car. It checks to see if the error still exists and if it doesn't it stops flashing. You may have to try to start the car again to get the code set.
                        1992 Integra GS LS/VTEC

Comment

Thanks for your help man...i appreciate it...

ok now one more question...what if its throwing some messed up code...what can be wrong?

Comment

I am not sure what you mean by messed up code. There are codes from the Transmission Control Module (TCM) that are related to other aspects of the car, the ignition system, for example. There are blink codes that also set a MIL code. There are blink codes that are related to the transmission electrical system. The only way to know is to count them and have the chapter from helms that has the diagnostic charts. Search the site for helms and you should be able to find a download site for the manual. Your problem sounds like a similar one I had when I did a dumb thing and put a fuse back in the wrong place. When I tried to start the car I got the S3 blink. It was for the electrical system. In my case it didn't get fixed until I put the fuse back in the right place. In your case it is intermittent, which might suggest a bad connection in the distributor or a bad ground somewhere in that vicinity. Check out your distributor rotor, cap and connections inside the distributor. There are posts on that on this forum.
                            1992 Integra GS LS/VTEC

Comment

if you have not fixed it it is the ECU fuse under the hood.

Comment

Working...
                              X