Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i found this problem.. it us due to the grease used to lube a spring getting sticky!!!!!!! take the console apart and remove the switch on the passenger side and disassembale it.. there is a little plastic sliding piece inside of there that has two metal pices in it... the smaller one has a spring behind it that has some sticky grease, i took it apart and thurouly cleaned it with dawn dish soap, the spring, metal connector, and the plastic piece.. i did that about a month ago and havent had a single problem since!!!

Comment

This as a great fix to the automatic shifter problem! Just make sure to clean the plastic pieces and copper pieces throughly and use the dielectric grease to re-grease the moving parts. These pieces were sticky and grimy on mine and now are working much better. Thanks for the info G2ic!

Comment

will white lithium grease do the same thing as dielectric?

Comment

ive been reading this thread and I was wondering if it was the same problem with the trans shifting to third and fourth???

Comment

this thread is going to be helpful since winter is on it's way and i jus picked up a

Comment

i used to carry two keys with me in the winter cause the one set would get stuck and i would be late for work or school, risky but it worked

Comment

Thank You for all the help with this issue, i was carrying 2 keys with me as well for 2 years.

It took me an hour to fix the problem.

Comment

I have the same problem with the stuck key and glad there are others here that know the fix. I too was wondering which of the wires to cut from the ignition? I removed the cover and can see 2 sets of 2 wires underneath the ignition switch. One set looks to be red/white for both, the other pair is blue/white and green/yellow(?).

Comment

does anyone know which wire in the above picture needs to be cut? anyone??? thanks

Comment

hey guys just did this job...went really well...the only thing that i need to add is to remove the glove box as well, if you want to keep ur metal clips that is lol.... i bought the new switch...cost me $60 CAN..that including taxes. also you dont need to removed your after market sterio. any question ask. thanks.

Comment

My turn, will have to look into the cheap repair. I have the dielectric grease so hopefully that will solve my shifting problems.

Comment

Working...
                        X