Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up yet another car...
    Car by Rob Heckel, on Flickr

99 GSR, single owner. Fresh-ish paint, done by acura. Head rebuilt at 140k. Currently has 212k. Mint interior, with the exception of a minor bolster tear.
    Current Car

Comment

• That's awesome Rob. I'm usually scared of repaints but if it was done at Acura it was probably a warranty and something that would have cost $5k or more!
      Track Project DB2 #896
      LeMons Project DA9
      My OG DA9, Wrecked, Stripped, R.I.P

Comment

• Nothing too new or crazy. Waiting on a harness from CJ's Wiring to show up, now that they have a standalone race version. I decided to hop on that.
        I'm currently in the process of bending brake lines and installing an adjustable proportioning valve. Hoping to get some Antique plates and get this thing to some events soon.
        Current Car

Comment

• Wiring Harness has arrived. Put new (rebuilt) injectors in. Need to finish up the rear lines and pressure test/bleed them. Worked on the gauge panel a little bit. Should be enough to get the car running... 2 flush mount LEDs in the top for CEL and Oil Pressure. 2 little amber ones for the turn signals on the sides of the Tach. The gauge on the right is water temp, left is wideband.
          Current Car

Comment

• That looks great - simple and clean
            Track Project DB2 #896
            LeMons Project DA9

Comment

• Been slacking on updates. Interior is just about buttoned up. Need to install the battery (Odyssey PC-680) and bolt down a couple of grounds, then we shall see how my Electrical Engineering 101 project went...
              Interior bits
              Interior bits
              Interior bits
              Interior bits
              Interior bits
              Current Car

Comment

• Coming along! That camo ain't my style but I like where you're going nonetheless. Love the plug for the ignition switch key cylinder Speaking of which I swapped my ignition switch out this weekend and had my own wiring project (swapping the switch is easy but when your alarm is hacked into all that wiring it becomes less easy, much less easy if you're me and always trying to make things more tidy with less cuts/splices). That project left me REALLY wanting to remove my dash and rewire everything under there. Or maybe get more crazy? I'd been wanting to keep everything OEM in terms of wiring except just stripped down but man some of that wiring is way too complex for no good reason. Tempting to do as you did and just start from scratch.

You probably already know this... but just in case not, be sure to keep a tender on that PC680, those things go dead super quick if you're not driving the car regularly.
                Track Project DB2 #896
                LeMons Project DA9

Comment

• Yeah, the camo is more or less to hide imperfections from my impatience. I was wondering if anyone would notice that plug! Just popped a random grommet in and it fit. I had to go out and buy the ignition switch wiring from another junkyard car because mine was so chopped up from the alarm. (back before I took on this project) Obviously, you've seen the duration on this project... think long and hard about rewiring. I wish I would've never done it. I did about 90% of the car with the fancy mesh loom, and for the final bits, I just got impatient and used the Tesa tape to whip things up quickly. Under the dash, no one will see it and the time spent fishing into the mesh loom just wasn't worth it for me. I wish I wouldn't have wasted so much time with that. tons of zip ties and Tesa tape. That's my new motto.
                  Current Car

Comment

• Yeah, I hear ya there. It's my OCD brain that drives this stuff but then I forget about it once it's all buttoned up. I just ran into an issue during my install (user error) and troubleshooting was a huge pain - mainly because the stock wiring is a little confusing. Just seems that troubleshooting could be easier if I re-did everything. But I suppose I might then also need to write my own service manual, lol.
                    Track Project DB2 #896
                    LeMons Project DA9

Comment

• lol yes. My service manual is on a bunch of notebook and computer paper. And the electrical schematics? Well. They make sense to me. Maybe I
                      Current Car

Comment

• A couple of updates. I've replaced the drilled/slotted rotors. After my limited track experience, they had already started stress cracks around the drilled area. Right now, I have centric premium (had great luck in much heavier, faster cars), DTC-60 front, and unknown rears. Also have an adjustable proportioning valve. If bending your own lines, highly recommend the ni-cop tubing. Incredibly forgiving.
                        Getting there.

Tongue out
                        Getting there.

Also, never trusted my cooling system. The car sat for a long time with tap water and I feel like the thermostat wasn't opening properly and/or the fan switch was DOA. Regardless, I flushed the system and switched to this stuff. The temps at which the things started working made much more sense than the previous set up. I wouldn't recommend getting a reduced temp thermostat or fan switch separately and, to be honest, this car didn't need them, and most cars don't.
                        Untitled

You'll also see that there's an antique plate there now... 25 years old, has the taillights, brake lights, blinkers, horn... passed the safety inspection so now I can drive this on public roads. (It's really miserable to do so though...) If anyone has an extra set of 500+ lb springs laying around, let me know. I believe the GC are 2.5 ID.
                        Current Car

Comment

• Just to share an update. Not sure what's going on over at PWJDM these days, but I ordered their ultimate rear suspension kit on Feb 1. Very exciting, spherical all the things.

....Still haven't received it and they haven't responded to any of my inquiries for over 2 weeks. So that's nice.
                          Current Car

Comment

• Well that's odd. I haven't ordered from them in a LONG time so no idea about their status. I'll be interested to see how you like the stuff. I have spherical trailing arms (PCI) but that's it.
                            Track Project DB2 #896
                            LeMons Project DA9

Comment

• Still haven't received them. Got to drive the car and the transmission is goofed now.. this thing is fighting me tooth and nail. Won't downshift 5->4 or 3->2. Sometimes won't go into gear. Tried brand new shifter and shift linkage. Nothing helped. May ship to Synchrotech or have a local shop rebuild. Sucks to suck. A man who is his own mechanic has a fool for a customer... :|
                              Current Car

Comment

• Finally got a refund from passwordJDM.
                                Pulled transmission from car, the change holder bolts had backed out. I pulled the quaife out and shipped the quaife west. A replacement transmission will be here Tuesday with my quaife installed.
                                I'll install that and then I'll have more updates. Once that's done, the car should be very very drivable.
                                I recently had my second son ~3 weeks. I don't find much time to work on the car, but I do have a guys night every Wednesday at a friends garage so I moved the car over to the shop so I can mess around on Wednesday. Here's something...

Current Car

Comment

Working...
                                X