No announcement yet.

Track Build - Cindi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, I totally read that wrong... A friend of mine used to do track days but is now prepping to get into HC and he's bummed about going from 8" down to 7" and from a b18c down to a b16a (probably best to just start with that stuff to begin with).
    Track Project DB2 #896
    LeMons Project DA9
    My OG DA9, Wrecked, Stripped, R.I.P

Comment

Small update. The b18b1 ran but it sounded terrible. The timing belt had far too much slop for my liking, and was never finished correctly. The b18b will go on a stand and eventually get built for durability; however, I'm on a limited timeline as my home track is closing and I don't want to keep borrowing cars to track there.

B20 will be delivered late Feb, early March. From what I understand, it's a 96-98 P8R Spec I'm buying directly from hmo. I checked jdmenginescorp.com and the owner rubbed me the wrong way... I asked a few questions about shipping and the warranty and he brushed me off and told me he didn't have time to help me over email. Steve at HMO pointed me in the right direction. It was a bit more than I wanted to pay, but their reputation precedes them.

In addition, 7.x lb Fidanza is on order. I have a b16 trans, supposedly. I'd like to grab a clutch for it, but I can't confirm the transmissions. No sticker, or any other imprints unless I'm missing them. I'll see how the one in it looks and hopefully identify whether or not it actually has a quaife and maybe what the trans is.

Other recent updates, the interior has started to come out and the battery is mounted in the rear passenger corner. Sturdy, and I'm happy with it. I have goodridge lines all around... except the passenger side front. DOH!

Oh, and the Mustang is now officially gone. I apologize to the next owner. And I'm coming around to truck life I guess...
      Current Car

Comment

Completely degreased the bay. Use some steel wool to rough the paint up in the bay. Going to spray the whole bit down and then start with some painting of the bay.
        IMG_0799.jpg

Also, the B20 arrived today. Overall I'm very pleased with the look and cleanliness of the engine.
        IMG_0805.JPG

Things that I've ordered from AcuraOemParts.com:
        VSS/Speed Sensor clip. (I intentionally tucked this into the put while doing the swap and still lost it...)
        Clutch Case Cover (Apparently plenty of cars drive without this, but I spend a fair amount of time off track lol)
        Bolts for said cover... easier to just have the right parts for 77cents.
        20mm Sealing Washer -> Plugs the outlet from the head to the heater core. Still trying to figure out what to do for the thermostat housing.
        Oil dip stick tube. The one on the B20 would impede my vision sticking through the hood. Just bought a b17 one for 9 bucks and will use my LS dip stick.

Moroso 4qt Oil Pan has arrived. Fidanza aluminum flywheel has arrived.

I'm getting ready for some fun. Hopefully my next updates will be dropping the engine in!
        Last edited by billabongrob; 13 Mar 2015, 16:57:29.
        Current Car

Comment

More things/notes...
          Put a freeze plug in the head where it pushes to the heater core. I'm going to see what I can do with the rear one. Maybe steal your idea Colin with the temp sender.
          B20 w/ P8R head
          Engine bay got a layer of spray paint to lighten it up, and halfway match the paint.
          92+ B series transmissions = same clutch spines.
          93 and older, cable, different throw out bearing than hydros (Action Clutch sent me the wrong one...)
          Timing Belt is done on the B20. Gates. Water pump was done at the same time and the tensioner. (Obviously)
          Motor mounts are filled with construction adhesive. Looked like a dog literally shat in them. Sanded, undercoated them. Better.
          6 puck sprung Action Clutch + Pressure plate as bolted up. I was going to use unsprung, but it seems like it would be overkill for the power, decrease the life of the tranny, and be incredibly difficult to drive with 7lb flywheel.

At this point, stupid-long rebuild has taken the wind out of my sails numerous times. Looks like I'm going to finish up some other small stuff. Another member is supposed to be making a trip down to get the B17 for his GSR, so I'm really excited to see it going to A) a g2ic member and B) into a gsr. I'll also be getting rid of the B18B and as much of the interior as he wants.

Then it will go for it's cage + sunroof removal + misc...
          Current Car

Comment

Don't fret dude, this isn't a long build at all, I feel like I've been building mine for 15yrs! And good choice on not going unsprung. People have a tendency to overestimate what they need for a clutch, it's road racing / track days - not drag and you don't have a bizzillion horsepower car. Even a stock clutch would be pretty sufficient, I've been running an Exedy organic racing clutch for a long while now and it's great, never once did I think I needed a stronger clutch. If you were turbo and pushing 400hp then it may be a different story, but for us NA guys <250hp doing track days you really don't need anything crazy.
            Track Project DB2 #896
            LeMons Project DA9

Comment

Haha it feels long for me because I'm trying to have it done before my home track closes in June... Forever.

Anyways! A member here came down from the Carolinas and took the B17, B18, and nearly all of my interior. We worked out a good deal that should help him finish up his car. I'm very happy that the b17 is going to go to a good home along with the rest of it.

Tomorrow we're going to drop the B20 in. Got my replacement throwout bearing from Action today. Got over excited and bought an imperfect carbon fiber hood. For being brand new, 375 shipped seemed like a good deal. It will probably get painted anyway... more updates soon!
              Current Car

Comment

B20 is in. Bouncing idle. Checked all of the vacuum tubes and sprayed everything with carb cleaner to see if the idle would spike, but nothing. Radiator fan wasn't kicking on and I think I killed the temperature sending unit. Ordered new fan switch, temp sensor, and sending unit. Going to go ahead and wire the fan to the switch directly like the non-ac diagram. (As seen here for reference...)

Carbon Fiber hood came in yesterday. Couldn't find any imperfections, but maybe that's because it's not for show.
                Here's hoping that all the new sensors and wiring will get my idle stable. If not, it will just have to go to the cage builder with a bouncing idle.
                Current Car

Comment

ECT sending unit, fan switch, and ECT sensor were all replaced.
                  Gauge in the GSR cluster is screwed I think. Fan won't turn on until the temp gauge is nearing hot, but the ohms are reading correctly. Guess I will be going aftermarket for this too...
                  Current Car

Comment

Did you end up doing the wiring modification for the fan system to be like the non-ac models? Have you confirmed that the thermostat is opening when it should?
                    Track Project DB2 #896
                    LeMons Project DA9

Comment

Yeah, I went from the fan switch, directly to the thermostat ground since it was closest. For now, the positive is still running through the original relay and I confirmed it's always hot. (Remember, some amazing electrician worked on this before me...) Now that the car is running well enough to move under it's own power, after the sunroof is removed/welded and the cage is in, I'll start some of the projects like cleaning up the wiring, removing unnecessary parts, cleaning up the brake lines, and what not.

At this point, I haven't tested the thermostat, and I probably should and I probably should have replaced it when I received the engine. Shame on me. I'll probably scoop up a generic 180 degree one and stuff it in there temporarily until I can make it to the stealership.
                      Current Car

Comment

I'd recommend against a short shifter made of aluminum. I had the cheap ebay double bend shifter and it literally broke off at the base hitting 5th gear on the track. Ruined my entire weekend.

I'm now running a fastline performance (FLP) tall shifter, and love it.

Comment

I will definitely look into that. Thank you for the recommendation. Right now, I believe the car has the stock shift lever, though I stuck ES bushings in the linkage. Still very sloppy. $199 for a shift lever is a hard pill to swallow, but it looks like some actual thought went into that guy.

Hoping to do a few laps around the block tomorrow in it just to make sure nothing is bound up. Hopefully I can reach the pedals from a lawn chair or a wheel.
                          Current Car

Comment

Dammit. I ordered Ground Controls today... 550f 450r. That should force me to ship off the Koni's sooner than later.
                            Current Car

Comment

Got to take it for an unofficial first drive on Wednesday. Felt pretty good until it just died on me. My friend hopped out, fuel pressure was reading ~40, the spark plugs were sparking. When we held one of the wires to the VC, it seemed like the car wanted to start. Eventually it did and we drove back. Not sure what the issue could be, will keep doing little test drives, but this will enough to get it to the shop for it's cage.

Here are some pictures, ignore the weiner. I'm also fully aware that it's ugly. Rome wasn't built in a day...
                              IMG_0948.JPG
                              IMG_0949.jpg
                              Current Car

Comment

damn i want a hood like that!

Comment

Working...
                                X