Readme

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To: Chipping a PR4 ECU

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Either your socket isnt installed properly or you have a bad bin (chip). I am guessing that it is the latter.

    Some bins wont work with certain ECU's while others will. Sometimes they are just picky like that.

    Try another program and see what happens.

    Later,
    BR

    Comment


    • #32
      and if that doesnt work try another chip.

      and if that doesnt work try the stock chip.

      and if that doesnt work try a new/working chip with the stock program on it.
      autozone online repair manual
      http://www.autozone.com/addVehicleId...leSelected.htm

      supplement with haynes manual from pep boys (<$15). includes vital troubleshooting and maintenence schedules.

      pics of all gsr rims

      b-series dynos

      Comment


      • #33
        Thanks you you people, i persisted, and relaised that when desoldering the old chip i must have scratched a curcuit track, and had to solder a bridge to rejoin it. it was my own silly fault for rushing it.
        The chip seems to be working fine.
        Am i correct in saying that if the ecu flashing light isnt flashing. That the car is fine?
        Because with the pproblem before the light stayed on and now its fixed, the light inside the ecu doesnt come on.
        A huge thanks to you people for helping me out.

        Comment


        • #34
          chips

          Wow, I cant believe that you guys are talking about me and my chips. Im an attention whore sometimes

          Heres a tip for chipping computers that already have existing EPROM's in them -

          What I do is desolder the bottom of the chip first. I make sure that there is no solder on the bottom of the pins left. To double check that, I use a flat head screw driver and move the pin just to make sure its free for the most part.

          This is thing that not to many people do and end up ruining thier computers - BEFORE you try to rip out the old chip thinking its completely desoldered, take a flat head screw driver and looking from the top side of the ecu, push the pins, from the bottom, of the chip in towards the chip itself. This will break the chip free. Alot of people just try and rip the chip out and end up pulling out the connection tabs with the chip. This makes things alot easier. You can also take the whole ecu board out of the casing and gentally pry the chip up with a flathead since the ecu's basically have a clear coat on them so that makes everything stick.

          Hope that helps people trying to do work on thier own

          To a follow up to you guys, I do highly recommend the PYR and XS chip. I can finally work around on all PR4 chips and can add stupid features such as launch control and boost. If anyone needs a chip, you can email me. $25 shipped for any chip I have. We also do complete installs for people who arent brave enough to do it themselves. I also have 3 chipped PR4 ecu's for sale too.

          Phaze2

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: chips

            Originally posted by sileightyturbo
            Wow, I cant believe that you guys are talking about me and my chips. Im an attention whore sometimes

            Heres a tip for chipping computers that already have existing EPROM's in them -

            What I do is desolder the bottom of the chip first. I make sure that there is no solder on the bottom of the pins left. To double check that, I use a flat head screw driver and move the pin just to make sure its free for the most part.

            This is thing that not to many people do and end up ruining thier computers - BEFORE you try to rip out the old chip thinking its completely desoldered, take a flat head screw driver and looking from the top side of the ecu, push the pins, from the bottom, of the chip in towards the chip itself. This will break the chip free. Alot of people just try and rip the chip out and end up pulling out the connection tabs with the chip. This makes things alot easier. You can also take the whole ecu board out of the casing and gentally pry the chip up with a flathead since the ecu's basically have a clear coat on them so that makes everything stick.

            Hope that helps people trying to do work on thier own

            To a follow up to you guys, I do highly recommend the PYR and XS chip. I can finally work around on all PR4 chips and can add stupid features such as launch control and boost. If anyone needs a chip, you can email me. $25 shipped for any chip I have. We also do complete installs for people who arent brave enough to do it themselves. I also have 3 chipped PR4 ecu's for sale too.

            Phaze2
            considering the diy topic, thats kinda steep for a $2 uv chip (at most used) with a commercial program on it. i hope its at least a flash rom.

            anyways, i wouldnt mind sending one out for 10 or so. chipping is kinda a pain, id probably want at least 40 plus shipping.
            autozone online repair manual
            http://www.autozone.com/addVehicleId...leSelected.htm

            supplement with haynes manual from pep boys (<$15). includes vital troubleshooting and maintenence schedules.

            pics of all gsr rims

            b-series dynos

            Comment


            • #36
              I mean sure i could have brought a chip for 10$ US but i doubt it would come with a warranty and a guarantee thet it would work in my car. But from someone like slightlyturbo, i know he has produced items that have worked in cars similar to mine. And due to that fact i am sticking with him.

              He's not just out there to make money he is also there to help with us people that want to do a cheaper upgrade to a standard motor.

              I for one will praise this guy for creating a produce worth buying and for the online help he gives with any problems.

              Sleightlyturbo. i salute you.

              This post may have been submitteted under an alcoholic substance, peace out.

              Comment


              • #37
                What kind of other mods do you guys running XS and PYR chips have?

                Obviously rechipping would benefit someone with new cams, but for those of us with just the basic I/H/E, is a chip worthwhile?

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by '02WRX
                  What kind of other mods do you guys running XS and PYR chips have?

                  Obviously rechipping would benefit someone with new cams, but for those of us with just the basic I/H/E, is a chip worthwhile?
                  hell yes. i/h/e
                  autozone online repair manual
                  http://www.autozone.com/addVehicleId...leSelected.htm

                  supplement with haynes manual from pep boys (<$15). includes vital troubleshooting and maintenence schedules.

                  pics of all gsr rims

                  b-series dynos

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Re: chips

                    Originally posted by sileightyturbo
                    ...take a flat head screw driver and looking from the top side of the ecu, push the pins, from the bottom, of the chip in towards the chip itself. This will break the chip free...
                    I'm slighty confused about this statement. Wouldnt you want to be looking at the pins you are pushing on so as NOT to bend them at all instead of looking at the opposite side of the ECU and pushing blindly?

                    Excuse me if Im dumb, but this is what I took that to mean. It would be of great help if you could clarify.





                    XDEep, have you installed ECU control? I saw some posts while reading at PGMFI.org and read the ecucontrol.com website and thought it looked pretty interesting. Although I gather that its pretty much a fancy display of guages for now, that could be useful and looks to be even more so in the future.

                    Anyone else using Ecu Control want to share there experience? It seems much safer to post here until I understand a little more about the honda ECU.
                    www.xenocron.com

                    All of the sites you can find me on:
                    | Honda Tech | Home Made Turbo | VW Vortex | Innovative Forums | PGMFI | EFI101 |

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Re: Re: chips

                      Originally posted by xenocron
                      I'm slighty confused about this statement. Wouldnt you want to be looking at the pins you are pushing on so as NOT to bend them at all instead of looking at the opposite side of the ECU and pushing blindly?

                      Excuse me if Im dumb, but this is what I took that to mean. It would be of great help if you could clarify.





                      XDEep, have you installed ECU control? I saw some posts while reading at PGMFI.org and read the ecucontrol.com website and thought it looked pretty interesting. Although I gather that its pretty much a fancy display of guages for now, that could be useful and looks to be even more so in the future.

                      Anyone else using Ecu Control want to share there experience? It seems much safer to post here until I understand a little more about the honda ECU.
                      i think its hard to do that as well. if you think youve removed most of the solder just use some pliers to wiggle them loose.

                      i havent installed ecucontrol yet.
                      autozone online repair manual
                      http://www.autozone.com/addVehicleId...leSelected.htm

                      supplement with haynes manual from pep boys (<$15). includes vital troubleshooting and maintenence schedules.

                      pics of all gsr rims

                      b-series dynos

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        If you guys who dont know how to desolder want to get the stock ROM out the easy way, or at least easier way then just get a pair of snips and snip off all the pins. You wont be needing your stock ROM after this and without using a heat sink you will probably burn it up anyway.

                        Just snip all the pins off and then desolder each pin individually so you dont have to worry about pulling out a 28 pin IC.

                        Later,
                        BR

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Hmm i found it very useful that i was able to switch back to the stock chip, im currently running the stock one cuz i need to freakin smog so badly!

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            i have a pr4 OBDI ecu and it a whole different board than what u have... im so lost..

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by 90tegLS703
                              i have a pr4 OBDI ecu and it a whole different board than what u have... im so lost..
                              http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthrea...u&pagenumber=1

                              also www.pgmfi.org
                              autozone online repair manual
                              http://www.autozone.com/addVehicleId...leSelected.htm

                              supplement with haynes manual from pep boys (<$15). includes vital troubleshooting and maintenence schedules.

                              pics of all gsr rims

                              b-series dynos

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                How do I check to see what ecu I have is there a number or code somewhere on it that I can look for. My teg is a 90 rs w/ B18A1 currently. I am getting a 1996 gen3 teg nonvtec engine from a friend who totaled it should I swap the harness and ecu when I pull the engine? And what ecu would that be, code or obd1-2, pr4?
                                NO MY TEG ISN'T DONE YET!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X