Taillight gasket replacement heads up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taillight gasket replacement heads up

Guys, Romanz and I found a good replacement gasket. It's $5 for a roll and it's more than enough to do 2 sets of lights. It works great. It's a 3M brand and it's called Foam weatherstripping or something like that. We got it at Discount Auto Parts.

It works just fine. No leaks. And hell it's WAY cheaper. I don't have the wrapper but I do have some remaining foam. Here's a pic.
    Attached Files
    NEIL B. - 1991 DA945. Owner since 1997.
    Sep 2015 ODOMETER: ~555K km / ~345K miles.
    ANYONE CAN BUY A NEW CAR. IT TAKES A TRUE ENTHUSIAST TO BREATHE LIFE INTO AN OLDER ONE.

SUPPORT G2IC BY VISITING THE G2IC STORE TO GET OFFICIAL G2IC CLOTHING AND DECALS

if only i had that schtuff a week ago. i couldnt find foam anywhere - craft stores, home depot, lowes, wal-mart...so i got some silicone sealant and "fixed" so to say, the old gasket. no water yet, but i wonder if that silicone crap is gonna come off when it come time to fix them the right way.

Comment

i filled mine in with silicone about 4 months ago, no problems yet.

Comment

How is that foam holding up? I saw that a while back, but wasn't sure if it would work good. I noticed that when I took my brothers tailights off, the gasket was like stuck to the part of the trunk behind it. Almost as if it had some kinda glue, wonder if I should put silicone back there.

Comment

wait, wait...so not having a gasket (or a dead gasket) could cause the light to fog up?!

Comment

yes.
            ANYONE CAN BUY A NEW CAR. IT TAKES A TRUE ENTHUSIAST TO BREATHE LIFE INTO AN OLDER ONE.

SUPPORT G2IC BY VISITING THE G2IC STORE TO GET OFFICIAL G2IC CLOTHING AND DECALS

Comment

Can we see more pics or did you already install them? Wanted to see how you put the weatherstripping around other parts of the tailight.

Comment

Is the consistency of that foam stuff equal to that of a sponge.. because basically the stock one is there to absorb the water and re-route it to fall to the bottom of the gasket...

mdt115

Comment

I don't see the point in posting more pix. That's everything there :p

The consistency is that of FOAM. Sponges have bigger "air holes" than this does. Or actually, it could be a sponge, but it would be the synthetic sponges.

Comment

Hey Neil, how are those holding up?

Comment

The bad thing is that I have a couple of stripped studs on my passenger taillight, so due to the fact there aren't any nuts holding this part of the light down, I do get water in. But on my driver one, it's fine.

Comment

is there anywhere on the net where i can get this weatherstrip

Comment

just got some at ACE hardware

it was 2.99 for a 10ft roll

called Poly Foam Weatherstrip

they did have one called Rubber Foam
                          but it was hella thin

thanks neil

Comment

Just go to Wal-Mart where all the window shit is. They have 2 different thicknesses(1/4in & 1/2in). Don't know if the 1/2in would be better or worse.

Comment

thanks Neil

my tails have been fogging every day

Comment

Working...
                              X