better way to look at/search classifieds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• better way to look at/search classifieds

I'm pretty sure that I'm not alone at this...
    But it's quite hard to just go over all the threads and topics if you're looking for various parts or looking for a car.
    If there was a more specific distinction between regions instead of just being Canada or US (California alone is big enough).
    Also we could standardize the posts so that they contain the county or city that the seller is located (maybe even where he's willing to meet or deliver).
    Anyway, I just thought I'd share that...

posters in the forsale forum have a hard enough time using the standardized format right now, which asks them to include the state code first in their threads.....as a moderator, i wouldn't be able to keep up with maintaining county and city on top of that!!!!! Also, posters are supposed to put "NO SHIP" in their title if it's for pick up only....

the suggestion to separate into regions has been talked about before, but seems to be shot down because many people don't want to search through 5 different regional forums for a part. The best suggestion i have for this is using the advanced search function where you can narrow your search to just the forsale forum.....

....open to more input
    http://gregtyree.com/wp-content/uplo...ct-the-van.png

Comment

+1
      NEIL B. - 1991 DA945. Owner since 1997.
      ANYONE CAN BUY A NEW CAR. IT TAKES A TRUE ENTHUSIAST TO BREATHE LIFE INTO AN OLDER ONE.

SUPPORT G2IC BY VISITING THE G2IC STORE TO GET OFFICIAL G2IC CLOTHING AND DECALS

Comment

Dedicated cali forum, please!!!!!!
        AIM: scratchymaster
        sigpic
        http://forums.g2ic.com/showthread.ph...65#post2174965
        Sold DB2: October 2, 2010

Comment

christ! thats just about what it is now. So Cal this, Nor Cal that...

Comment

yup. I have two go thru 3 pages of cali before finding soemthing else,
            Im in TN so cali doesnt help me much.

Comment

yeah, i guess segregation is not really a good thing either.
              cause if someone was selling something and is willing to ship, he'd have to put it all over the place a lot of times.
              Anyways, guess the system in place has it's quirks.

Comment

How about have segregation between sellers willing to ship and local pickup only?

Comment

I would agree that searching the classifieds is not easy.

It would be nice if there was a way to search for threads in your area. You can't search the forum with "VA:" or "MD:" (like I would want to), as those terms won't work as we all know. And yes, it does seem like some follow the title rules while others don't. Is there a way to give everyone a warning banner while they are creating a FS thread that says "your thread will be deleted if it doesn't conform" and then just delete them. No hand holding just [Del].

I don't know how to do this, but if there were some way to set up a "form" to fill out for FS threads where the user has to click on options that set the state (city, region, whatever) before they can submit it (this would also help the numb-nuts that can't spell). That way if we went to search the FS section and typed in Virginia (in my example) it would find them since it was part of the form they had to fill out.

Neil, Dawn, Mike, thoughts????

Comment

I will see what I can find.
                    ANYONE CAN BUY A NEW CAR. IT TAKES A TRUE ENTHUSIAST TO BREATHE LIFE INTO AN OLDER ONE.

SUPPORT G2IC BY VISITING THE G2IC STORE TO GET OFFICIAL G2IC CLOTHING AND DECALS

Comment

this should work:

- make the classifieds area use a custom template
                      - edit the template to have a dropdown that lists predefined locations
                      - use javascript to make ppl select the location before they can create posts
                      - prepend the location to the thread title before inserting the post in the DB.

since almost everyone has javascript enabled, this should work nearly 100% of the time. For those that don't and don't select their region, the mods can still delete the post or whatever.

if you got questions, PM me.. oh wait.. no pm's on here

email me

Comment

I don't do coding. I find proven modifications on vbulletin's modification site.

Comment

Working...
                        X