Thread: symptoms of timing belt off one tooth?

MidnightToker

symptoms of timing belt off one tooth?

so what would happen if the timing belt on a b18a1 was off by one tooth? Would the car be able to idle normally?

G2IC Premier Member
    No, if the timing belt was off a tooth is would be a rough low idle, missing a lot.
    Dan
    92 GS-"R"
    13.9 @ 100mph
    17" street tires

MidnightToker
    ok that clears that up. i changed my timing belt not too long ago and now the car idles perfect and accelerates good too but when i reach 3-4k rpm in 2nd gear or higher, she starts shaking ever so slightly. i should probably turn my attention to adjusting the distributor then right?

it depends on which cam it is off by. i had the same thing happen to me. i was changing for a newer set of cams. well at first the intake was off a tooth, and its idle like crap but good power after 3-4k rpm. i then redid it and that time i had it off a tooth on the exhaust. it idle fine, but when i got up tp 3-4k rpms it lost all power. if it is off a tooth you can check, just take off your valve cover and get it to tdc. if the cam gears dont line up they are off. thats how i did it.

hope it works for you.

MidnightToker
    well that's the thing, they do line up. the four horizontal lines on the cam sprockets line up perfectly when at tdc. i've hit a dead end here and i don't know what to do

MidnightToker
    Well i double and tripple checked the belt position again and i compared it to a picture in the belt installation guide i found in this forum and it's dead on. It matches exactly what the picture shows in the guide so i couldn't be a tooth off. could it be a bad fuel filter or something?

G2IC Premier Member
    There could be alot, ALOT of things this could be.

If your timing marks all line up and your have set the timming correctly with a timming gun.... go to next step.

Rough idle in certain RPM ranges does not ring a TB off a tooth to me. My first thought is, is your ECU throwing any CEL's.... IF so check them....
    IF NOT..... my second guess is motor mounts. Can you go above 3-4k RPM's at all? Oh and yes fuel filters can cause some strange things to happen as well as bad or going out 02 sensors.

I just got my timing belt replaced and the mechanic told me I had been running my car with the belt off by 1 tooth prior to taking it in. If that's the case, I'd driven 70k miles or something with it like that but I never really noticed anything too severe as far as rough idle, or loss of power. Anyway, my question is... should I be overly concerned about valve (or any other part) damage as a result of driving my car for 70k miles on a timing belt that is off by ONE tooth?

no... one tooth off won't cause any damage to anything. don't worry about it

Hm.. sounds reasonable to me. Thanks!