Thread: G2 Integra stock clutch: regular or hydraulic?

NickMJr

G2 Integra stock clutch: regular or hydraulic?

Hey folks, basic question (I'm not a gearhead obviously): do the G2 Integras have a regular clutch or a hydraulic one? I'm assuming it's regular because I don't see anything that looks like a clutch fluid reservoir under the hood. If so that seems a little strange because my '91 Honda Prelude (same price range) does have a hydraulic clutch. Wouldn't make sense to me that Honda Motor Co. would put hydraulic clutches in the Preludes but regular clutches in the Acura Integras.

the gen 2 trannys are cable. plain and simple. now heres the thing though. depending on what year ur tranny is. they might have a hydro clutch disc. if u have a 92-93 ys1 then u are going to need a hydro clutch. but change out the throw out bearing to a cable one.
    josh

are you sure slinky becouse i have a 92 ls ys1 and it's a cable clutch .

yes. the tranny is a cable but the clutch disc is hydro. when i bought my clutch they sold me a 94 hydro clutch. they said that the throw out berring will be diffrent but i have no problems with my clutch at all. the only thing diffent is the disc.
    josh

BlackTegger
    You have a Cable Clutch. I'm 99.9% sure that all USDM YS1's and Y1's are all cable. I think the XSI B16 came with a hydro clutch but not the B18A1's

Listen guys it is not that hard.

90-93 USDM M/T Tegs have a cable operated clutch. PERIOD.
    90-93 USDM M/T Tegs use the same bearing. PERIOD
    90-91 USDM M/T Tegs have a smaller spline, and different clutch disk than 92-01. PERIOD

Starting in 92 the YS1 had the same spline count as ALL of the newer G3 Tegs. Therefore you can use ANY clutch disk from a 92-01 and pressure plate, but the bearing is not the same. So it is NOT a hydro clutch disk since there is no such thing. The clutch disk and pressure plate don't have a damn thing to do with it being cable type or hydro type.

NickMJr
    Thanks Wraith, that's pretty much what I suspected. So my '90 Teg has a cable clutch but if I ever have to change it I can't use a clutch disk from a '92-'93.

Exactly. The spline count on the shaft is different for the 90-91 vs. the 92-01.

The shaft size 90-91 is just under 1 inch about .953 and just over an 1 inch about(1.20) on 92-01.

NickMJr
    OK, one last question based on what you said earlier, Slinky. Am I right to assume that the Gen 3 Integras ('94-'01) have a hydraulic clutch? That would make sense in terms of what you said about being sold a "hydro clutch disk" from a '94 Teg for your '92-'93 (which as Wraith pointed out, all Tegs from '92-'01 use the same clutch disk but it has nothing to do with whether the clutch is cable-type or hydro-type). Do you know for sure Wraith, if the Gen 3 Tegs are hydro-type clutches? Just trying to satisfy my curiosity here. (Please bear with me this one time, moderator--I know I shouldn't be asking a Gen 3 question in a Gen 2 group.)

USDM 94-01 Tegs are 100% hydro on all models.

As I stated before, the term "hydro" really only refers to the operation of the release bearing. The term "hydro" has nothing to do with the flywheel, clutch disk or pressure plate.

I am 100% sure member slinky met one of the countless parts guy morons that are barely qualified to assist in selecting wiper blades. It probably happened something like this:

slinky I need a clutch for my 92 Teg.
    Parts moron Yo dude I'm going to sell you this hydro clutch from a 94+ Teg as an "upgrade".

Taking their word for anything is about the same as Dr. Phil handing out weight loss advise.

EDIT - I just noticed member slinky lists that he owns a 91 Teg. This is even more curious since the only way you could use a clutch disk from a 92+ is if you put a YS1 in there. So what is it, you listed the wrong year car, you (or previous owner) put a YS1 in, what is it?

NickMJr
    That sounds about right Wraith. Technically it would be OK for a parts dude to sell you a clutch disk from a '94 Teg for your '92. It's the same part, according to what you told me. But to say it's a "hydro clutch disk" shows an ignorance about how clutches work. Either stupidity on the part of the "parts moron", or he's deliberately trying to "rip off" the customer by making it seem you're getting an upgrade or a "better" part. Now about Slinky listing that he has a '91 Teg? Hmmm...only you can explain that Slinky. Maybe you had a different Teg ('92 or '93) when you did the clutch thing?????