Thread: replaced thermostat - engine still cold

replaced thermostat - engine still cold

So I replaced my thermostat yesterday. I used a napa superstat (more expensive "quality" one). I used a new gasket, and bleed the coolant afterwards. Engine still runs cold, and no warm air. It sucks because I am getting 150 miles/tank and it's in the teens here. Any ideas? Should I try it again with an oem thermostat? Can it be the temperature sensor switch?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I have this same problem...so I'd like to know. I have alot of scale in my rad, so I think maybe it's clogged.

if your rad is clogged then it would cause your car to overheat

Really? Maybe I have a sensor problem then...

If you are telling us that their is no heat in the car then you need to check the valve the on the fire wall that lets water to the heater core. See if it open when you move the heater control in the car.

BacardiBreezer

You most likey have a sensor problem like you said

I have no heat, and my engine runs cold which is why I am asking if I should install another oem thermostat?

Oh yeah...I checked the valve...I forgot all about that! It didn't move

You're telling me a sensor won't let my engine heat up all the way???

A sensor only tell you if the engine is hot or cold if it is working right. All it does is make the gauge move.

your heater core could be clogged and/or your sensor(s) bad

are your rad fans turning on properly?

there are 3 temp sensors, one if for the gauge on your cluster, one is to tell the rad fans to turn on/off and the final one is to tell your ECU what temp the motor is
    www.xenocron.com

All of the sites you can find me on:
    | Honda Tech | Home Made Turbo | VW Vortex | Innovative Forums | PGMFI | EFI101 |

I personally have never seen/heard my rad fan turn on because I am assuming the engine never got to operating temp.

I think the reason why I don't have heat is because my engine is always cold.

I've replaced the thermostat w/ a napa superstat one is the symtoms are still the same :-\

USMC_DA9
    my car heats up fine, but sometimes when the heats on high it cools the car back down to almost below hte cold mark. even while driving.

The only way your coolant wouldnt come up to temp is if it was very cold out and your thermostat was bypassed or stuck open...
    www.xenocron.com

All of the sites you can find me on:
    | Honda Tech | Home Made Turbo | VW Vortex | Innovative Forums | PGMFI | EFI101 |

Well I know MY thermostat is fine, I just replaced it and the engine still won't heat up. The rad fan seems to be on all the time, but I even tried unplugging it, thinking the engine would get hot pretty quick, but it still didn't, unless the gauge couldn't read it.

ok well today I figured out that my new thermostat is working fine.

I bleed my coolant and let my car sit idle for like 45 mins. I saw my temp gauge go to warm and the fan kicked it. The coolant level started to go low so I kept filling the rad. Then I noticed that the engine went cold again after the fan kicked on. REally weird.......

i have the same problem, just replaced the tstat, and bled the system, still luke warm heat and temp guage fluctuating from cold to hot and back again.

How does the car run and drive?

my car would go cold when i drive on freeways or when its just colder outside, what i did was buy a HONDA OEM thermostat and put that in and the car heats up perfectly now, along with HONDA oem cooling hoses with a new CSF brand radiator.

I bought a oem thermostat, but I am too lazy to replace mine.

oem honda thermostat works best

the OEM thermostat did it!

My car heats up fine and I have heat. I noticed that the spring on the oem thermostat is stiffer, therefore keeping the thermostat closed at a higher temperature.