Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you know when your clutch needs replacement?

How do you know when your clutch needs replacement?

My clutch is about 10 years old. Occasionally, my clutch grinds on 2nd gear. Even if I hold the clutch pedal all the way down. Is that a sign of a bad clutch? What are the signs of a failing clutch? Thanks.

i'm grinding occasionally on random gears..sometimes it would be 2nd, or 4th, or even 5th. I'm pretty sure i need a new clutch... I have issues with grinding and clutch chatter/squeal.

it could also be your clutch cable or pressure plate.

Quote Originally Posted by ez12a View Post

I know nothing about clutches. Can these be adjusted or just replacing the whole clutch system? If can be adjusted, how do you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by ez12a View Post
    i'm grinding occasionally on random gears..sometimes it would be 2nd, or 4th, or even 5th. I'm pretty sure i need a new clutch... I have issues with grinding and clutch chatter/squeal.

seems like u got more issues than just ur clutch. check if u need adjustment, but i'm pretty sure u need ur clutch replaced and properly. chatter usually caused by hotspots, or by improper installation, and not resurfacing the flywheel (if u got a new one with the clutch then no worries). but there are other causes too. squeal tho...... i forget the cause of that, but yeah. grinding gears..... clutches can't fix that, check ur tranny fluid levels, prolly hasn't been serviced lately. but i'm pretty sure ur synchros are going. if u got the money replace it soon...... tranny and clutch assembly. but thats just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by 91akira View Post
    I know nothing about clutches. Can these be adjusted or just replacing the whole clutch system? If can be adjusted, how do you do that?
    get a new clutch either way, urs is old and well ur car could prolly use it. if u dont' know how to adjust the clutch then i'm certain u can't replace one either. try to do some research on picking out ur clutch, one that will fit ur driving style and needs, don't forget $$$. the place that installs it should adjust the cable to the proper setting of about 1" of free play from the top. ur tranny will prolly need some servicing too. get the tranny fluid flushed out, and if u can get it, get some synthetic tranny fluid put in, like royal purple or redline...... it will hopefully extend the life of ur tranny and could make 2nd stop grinding. either way it'll help u out. make sure that the clutch u get comes as a kit, so that means clutch disc, pressure plate, and new bearings. umm can't think of much else. oh except for one more thing..... i'm surprised on the 2nd gear grinding... but not 3rd.... do u down shift into 2nd gear a lot when slowing down to a stop? i recommend (keyword recommend) that u stop doing that if thats the case, cuz ur putting more wear on that gear, try using 3rd or 4th instead, but honestly use ur brakes more instead...... brakes are cheaper and easier to replace than clutches and transmissions.

if i missed something pls feel free to add.

get a NKK clutch from ebay, i have that and its been great ever since, i bought it in october 06 and it grabs hard and the pedal feel is EASY. choose your flywheel wisely, i went with a fidanza 7.5 pound, i love it, but most people say its too light but it feels rather stock to me

Quote Originally Posted by Squeezethis View Post
    seems like u got more issues than just ur clutch. check if u need adjustment, but i'm pretty sure u need ur clutch replaced and properly. chatter usually caused by hotspots, or by improper installation, and not resurfacing the flywheel (if u got a new one with the clutch then no worries). but there are other causes too. squeal tho...... i forget the cause of that, but yeah. grinding gears..... clutches can't fix that, check ur tranny fluid levels, prolly hasn't been serviced lately. but i'm pretty sure ur synchros are going. if u got the money replace it soon...... tranny and clutch assembly. but thats just my 2 cents.

get a new clutch either way, urs is old and well ur car could prolly use it. if u dont' know how to adjust the clutch then i'm certain u can't replace one either. try to do some research on picking out ur clutch, one that will fit ur driving style and needs, don't forget $$$. the place that installs it should adjust the cable to the proper setting of about 1" of free play from the top. ur tranny will prolly need some servicing too. get the tranny fluid flushed out, and if u can get it, get some synthetic tranny fluid put in, like royal purple or redline...... it will hopefully extend the life of ur tranny and could make 2nd stop grinding. either way it'll help u out. make sure that the clutch u get comes as a kit, so that means clutch disc, pressure plate, and new bearings. umm can't think of much else. oh except for one more thing..... i'm surprised on the 2nd gear grinding... but not 3rd.... do u down shift into 2nd gear a lot when slowing down to a stop? i recommend (keyword recommend) that u stop doing that if thats the case, cuz ur putting more wear on that gear, try using 3rd or 4th instead, but honestly use ur brakes more instead...... brakes are cheaper and easier to replace than clutches and transmissions.

Digging your posts man! Learning so much...

darn it. When we bought the car over a year ago it was fine. Slowly the squealing got worse and just this summer it started grinding, but i also messed with the adjustment not really knowing how to do it properly so its partially my fault. I tried to fix the adjustment as best as i could but it still grinds. I already changed the fluid to honda MTF a month ago and it still hasnt solved my issue with grinding. Plus my pedal is relatively stiff. I drove my friend's civic hatch and it felt like nothing. My dad's e46's clutch is also lighter. My bet is either the cable, pressure plate needs replacing. because if the cable is old it can stretch and that throws off your clutch adjustment as well as disengagement/engagement of the clutch. The clutch is in obvious need of replacement already. I should mention it only grinds when i try to downshift. I cant double clutch anymore its weird, but i can downshift without double clutching. Its a PITA. Shifting is kinda notchy, but that may be an unrelated issue.

after i readjusted hte cable, i dont grind in any gears but 4th downshifting. Upshifting into 4th is fine.

I'll just get a new clutch this spring break and have the flywheel resurfaced if possible. Then i'll go with a fidanza 12 lb or somewhere in that range.

edit: scratch the dont grind in upshifting to 4th. I remember merging onto the freeway on an incline and the shifting was really notchy at that point...like it was difficult to get out of gear in the 1>2 shift (prior to going up the incline). I tried shifting into 4th but it ground. Gave up and went to 5th. Gosh i need to get this fixed. I do not race or beat on my car in anyway. i was shifting at probably 3500-4000 rpm going up the inclined onramp.
    ATTENTION! This post has been edited from its original contents. You may want to check the message again to make sure no discrepancies occur that may adversely affect you.
    Last edited by ez12a : 26 Feb 2008 at 10:31:40

My car is a daily car. What clutch is best for that? No I don't downshift that much. And it only grinds on 2nd when I accelerate normally. ohh. People talk about the synchro mesh stuff for the tranny. Or do you perfer that Royal purple stuff?

put the front bumper of your car against something that wont move (like a tree or another car) then put your car in 5th gear and slowly ease off the clutch...if your car doesnt stall out )when the clutch is like a 1/4 or so from it being all the way up) then ur clutch is good...but if it does it later than that or doesnt then you need a new clutch...

it can also be that you might need a new throw out bearing...

usually a clutch would need replacing if its slipping. drive on the street and go frmm 2nd to 4th then smash it. if the tach shoots up fast and the speedometer doesnt go anywhere like it should then you need to replace it. or if its hard to go into any gear and if the car shakes when letting go of the clutch. thats what ive seen before from people.

Quote Originally Posted by mugencivic4dr View Post
    put the front bumper of your car against something that wont move (like a tree or another car) then put your car in 5th gear and slowly ease off the clutch...if your car doesnt stall out )when the clutch is like a 1/4 or so from it being all the way up) then ur clutch is good...but if it does it later than that or doesnt then you need a new clutch...

it can also be that you might need a new throw out bearing...
    didn't think about that. i was gonna say put it on a lift then do it, but u can also just raise the front of the car, put it on some jack stands and try that out too. start the car, put it in 5th, rev to about 2k rpms, then release the clutch like u would normally, if it does stall then its good, if it doesn't then its gone. ur clutch might not be slipping at all. yea it could need new bearings, but a 10yr old clutch..... gotta replace it sooner or later.

oh and ran ran.... if ur clutch does slip, it would slip more frequently when its hot during stop n go traffic. forcing it to slip (if u do notice slippage) will tear up the clutch even more and might create hotspots. not exactly a good suggestion. is done often but not recommended.

91akira... synchromesh, try giving it a search and decide for urself i u wanna use it or not. most don't recommend it unless many gears are grinding already. if ur only grinding one gear and not badly then just try going with other fixes or go with the royal purple or redline, my PERSONAL choice is the redline tho. ummm do u know for certain when the clutch was replaced last tho? cuz it might have been replaced as of recently, i really don't know. but yea find that out. if not then consider getting an entire clutch kit, and get it installed by a shop. shouldn't be too expensive but a nice clutch setup should run u about 150-400. i might have been a lil low on the $150 part but some ppl get some clutch kits for dirt cheap on ebay... if thats the way u wanna go. =/

2nd gear grind is most likely the synchros going bad. If it gets bad enough, you won't be able to get into that gear. Mine grinds into 3rd occasionally, mostly if I shift above 3k which does not happen often...and I have had clutches go out on me so I know when they are gonna go. When my DA's went last fall the pedal was stiffer than anything I'd ever felt and would grab at the top of the pedal. Of course it slipped when I would push the gas hard. One day I pushed in the pedal and it went soft and the car would hardly go. If it's not slipping and picks up where it's supposed to on the pedal, nothing to worry about. My original clutch went to 193k or so.

Edit: TO bearings make a whining noise when going out, I've had it twice on cars. And I thought clutch chatter was just oil on the plates? Assuming it's got friction material of course..

91akira... synchromesh, try giving it a search and decide for urself i u wanna use it or not. most don't recommend it unless many gears are grinding already. if ur only grinding one gear and not badly then just try going with other fixes or go with the royal purple or redline, my PERSONAL choice is the redline tho. ummm do u know for certain when the clutch was replaced last tho? cuz it might have been replaced as of recently, i really don't know. but yea find that out. if not then consider getting an entire clutch kit, and get it installed by a shop. shouldn't be too expensive but a nice clutch setup should run u about 150-400. i might have been a lil low on the $150 part but some ppl get some clutch kits for dirt cheap on ebay... if thats the way u wanna go. =/
    Yeah I'm the first owner most likely the last. But yeah it was changed in 97. I'm confused now. I just did a poll on tranny fluid on here and majority say the honda MTF. but if you say royal purple or redline might fix my 2nd gear grinding problem, then I'll give that a try.

my 5th grinds when ever i go from 3rd to 5th...( i usually skip 4th when i'm passing up cars)

GM Synromesh FTW, made my tranny feel like new again.

Quote Originally Posted by mugencivic4dr View Post
    my 5th grinds when ever i go from 3rd to 5th...( i usually skip 4th when i'm passing up cars)
    yea cuz there is no synchro that synchronizes 3rd and 5th...... u might wanna try shifting to 4th. u don't have to disengage the clutch to run 4th gear just put it in so that the synchros work from 3rd to 4th, then 4th to 5th. so go 3rd, clutch... then to 4th (don't release clutch pedal from the floor yet) then to go 5th....... that should help.

91akira: i use honda mtf on my own ride, but i do that cuz my gears don't grind or anything. it use to pop out of 5th gear, but stopped. it was low on tranny fluid..... and when i say low i mean LOW. 3 drops of tranny fluid came out of the drain hole when i took it to a place to get the tranny fluid drained and filled with the honda mtf that i had bought. the mechanic went straight up to me and said WTF ARE U DOING DRIVING IT LIKE THIS!?!?!?!

bacardi: umm from what i've learned and experienced is that chatter is mainly caused from the flywheel not being resurfaced, the clutch n pressure plate not installed properly (like with an alignment tool OR by not tightening it down in a star sequence), also from hotspots, hotspots can be ground off (resurfaced) but they will come back tho, so its best to get rid of it and replace it.

clutch

wen im driving and im 3 or 4 gear and step on the gas my car shakes alot and my rpm goes up but my car dont keep up...most likely its my clutch and i need help on finding ther right one ....

Quote Originally Posted by MARCOS1934 View Post
    wen im driving and im 3 or 4 gear and step on the gas my car shakes alot and my rpm goes up but my car dont keep up...most likely its my clutch and i need help on finding ther right one ....
    is it when u drive it hard or anytime? ur clutch disk could be worn real bad, but it should happen with almost all gears. there's a test mentioned above..... if u read the thread u'd know how to check if ur clutch needs to be replaced.

the shaking is prolly from chatter of ur clutch. could be caused from hot spots or broken springs or something. i say replace it, or take it to aamco, i think they still do an inspection for free.

YEA IN ALL GEARS IT HAPPENDS SOO AMMA CHANGE MY CLUTCH...THANK FOR THE HELP....

so if my clutch was normal one night, i backed up to my car garage, got in in the morning started going down the road and i feel the cable feels softer and like it, it was tight then it would be soft then tight again when i was pressing it, and the clutch was slipping like crazy, i could bearly drive up my driveway, is it possible that clutch goes from normal to slipping in one day, or is it my cable?