Thread: car swaying side to side?

car swaying side to side?

So lately my car has been doing something strange and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to why it is doing this. Anytime I'm in any kind of rut in the road my car will start swaying side to side while I'm in it. It's like once the wheel starts to fall in the rut it goes all the way to one side of it and then before it gets out of the rut it will start going back the other way. And momentum keeps it doing this until I purposely steer out of the rut.

So what could be causing this? I'm guessing something in my steering/suspension is worn but I'm not sure what. I just know it needs to be fixed before it gets worse. It doest feel very safe to be driving in a straight line on the highway with your car swaying from side to side.

Quote Originally Posted by Integpk View Post
    So lately my car has been doing something strange and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to why it is doing this. Anytime I'm in any kind of rut in the road my car will start swaying side to side while I'm in it. It's like once the wheel starts to fall in the rut it goes all the way to one side of it and then before it gets out of the rut it will start going back the other way. And momentum keeps it doing this until I purposely steer out of the rut.

So what could be causing this? I'm guessing something in my steering/suspension is worn but I'm not sure what. I just know it needs to be fixed before it gets worse. It doest feel very safe to be driving in a straight line on the highway with your car swaying from side to side.
    Check your upper/lower ball joints and inner/outer tierods. Out of all those... from my experience.. the upper ball joints and inner tierods are the ones that cause the steering to wander very noticeably.....

It feels really dangerous to drive and needs replacement immediately!

If you need help replacing those.. let me know cuz I just did mine about two weeks ago... it helped very significantly.

Unless your car is steering itself, as in the steering wheel is not moving, but your car is turning left and right, this is normal. My car has always done this, before and after I replaced all my suspension parts (ok not the actual arms, but everything else)

Your hitting a rut in the road, all of my cars, when they hit a rut, will start tracking the rut to one degree or another. All of the cars I have ever driven will do this. I would imagine the air pressure in your tire could change *how* it tracks, or the tread of your tire, or the width of your tread. My truck will not track very much, my wife's corolla will track pretty well. My integra will track pretty well too.

What hybrid90 is talking about is wear in the steering/suspension parts causing loose steering, you would not need a rut to find this out, the texture of the road could make you drive one way or another, the grade of the road could do the same thing. Your car would wander, and you would be compensating for it constantly. I did have this in an old Pontiac, it was a worn out steering box, replaced, and no more wandering. It was also *NOT* fun on ice. You didn't know if you were starting to skid, or if it was the steering.

When you hit the rut, does your steering wheel fight you/turn just a bit? If it does, you don't have worn parts. Mine does exactly that, it will fight me when I hit ruts. Its annoying, its also supposed to happen.

My car did this when the toe was significantly off when I had just lowered the car and had to wait a few days for a alignment. Go get your alignment checked before you start replacing things.