Thread: Replacing Rotors, Do I Need to Bleed Brakes?

Replacing Rotors, Do I Need to Bleed Brakes?

So I searched and couldn't find a direct answer(s). I'm going to be replacing rotors and brake pads for the first time.

1. When replacing the rear rotors, do I need to disconnect the rear brake lines in order to remove the rear calipers?

2. Do I need to bleed brakes after installation of new rotors/pads?

You don't have to disconnect the rear brake lines to move the calipers out of the way so you could replace the rotors. The brakes might feel a bit mushy with the new disks. Since you're down there, you might as well bleed the brakes. It's a bit cumbersome if you're working alone without the right tools but it could be done.

You should rent a free tool from your local auto parts store. It's a brake caliper tool that looks like a c clamp with disks. You have to compress the caliper piston AND turn it in the rear. There is also a chance that while compressing the piston you'll see the rubber boot is torn and find the piston hard to push. This would signal a need for a rebuild or buying a reman from the parts store.

Yup.. no need to remove the calipers for a rotor change. Just use a rope or bungee cord and hang/tie the calipers to the upper control arm.

If you're changing all four rotors and you want to save time.. do it in order like this: REAR RIGHT rotor first so you can bleed the brakes on that side, then move to the FRONT LEFT change rotor, then bleed... move to REAR LEFT, change rotor, bleed.. and last, FRONT LEFT, change rotor, bleed and you're DONE!

Go exactly in that order or else you're going to be running back and forth changing rotors and bleeding brakes... good luck and don't forget to open the brake fluid reservoir cap when pressing in the pistons...

you dont need to bleed the brakes if your only changing rotors and pads.

Quote Originally Posted by redtegra View Post
    you dont need to bleed the brakes if your only changing rotors and pads.
    Yeah but while he's at it and haven't bled the brakes in awhile.. he might as well do it.. killing two birds with one stone...
    ATTENTION! This post has been edited from its original contents. You may want to check the message again to make sure no discrepancies occur that may adversely affect you.
    Last edited by hybrid90 : 06 Aug 2009 at 22:24:56

Thanks for the good advice from all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by hybrid90 View Post
    Yeah but while he's at it and haven't bled the brakes in awhile.. he might as well do it.. killing two birds with one stone...
    well that really depends. if the guy doesn't know what he's doing and has never bled brakes before, which i doubt he has if he's asking these questions, i wouldn't recommend it since it's not needed. next thing you'll know there will be another thread with "i got no more brakes"