Thread: Car moves forward in Neutral !?!?

Car moves forward in Neutral !?!?

When I let the clutch out and the car is in neutral it moves forward (on flat ground with the parking brake off). It is almost like putting it in first gear... but it definitely is in neutral. If I depress the clutch the movement stops. I can also hold the car back with my foot out the door on the ground too. This only happens when cold.

It is also difficult to get into 2nd gear when cold (you have to move the shifter quickly from 1st to 2nd or it resists going into 2nd.. but it does not feel like grinding or make any grinding noises... the hotter the car get the less this is a problem though.. and it shifts normally when hot)

The car has a new excedy clutch, lightened flywheel, syncromesh friction modified fluid.

Is the forward movement while cold and in neutral normal?

6spd FTW?

Quote Originally Posted by JAMAICAN B18 View Post
    6spd FTW?

OP, this is deffinatly not normal and wish I could help. good luck

kinda sounds like the clutch i not disengaging all the way or something. id try adjusting the cable first only cuz its the easiest thing to do. weird that your not hearing any chattering though or noises at all. Check trans fluid level too?

clutch cable is new, and adjusting it has not made a difference (it actually shifts very nicely when warm, good pedal feel and proper height). I think I am going to drain out the syncromesh and go with the regular motor oil and see what happens.

I cant imagine that would do anything at all except cost you money but Im certainly no expert. Keep us posted...

this is

very wierd cause if it's in neutral there's no connection/engagement between the engine and axles, whether the clutch is engaged, partially engaged, or disengaged it can't turn the axles. almost seems like something in the tranny is constantly binding, or similar, in order to keep the gears engaged

hmmmm......

what engine and transmission combo do you have, did you buy a brand new clutch for the same engine?

I had a similar problem a while back. Turns out the pilot bearing exploded due to the flywheel not being machined to spec.

Quote Originally Posted by dew1989 View Post
    I had a similar problem a while back. Turns out the pilot bearing exploded due to the flywheel not being machined to spec.
    Ouch

The first thing that came to mind was the shifter bushings. $20 for urethane ones. Something worth checking out before digging into the pilot bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by therealkroysc View Post
    Ouch

The first thing that came to mind was the shifter bushings. $20 for urethane ones. Something worth checking out before digging into the pilot bearing.

why does it have to do with bushing , it doesnt make any sense.

It dosent mean anything is wrong with your car, any car and move forward while in neutral, and if the bearings were gone in the gearbox it would be making some weird sounds, apply the hand brake.