Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: CA smog legal engines to be bar'd

  1. #1

    Join Date
    31 Mar 2008
    Location
    Fresno, CA

    CA smog legal engines to be bar'd

    ok, I'm looking to get a swap and wanted to know which engines are legit to smog and be bar'd by the referee here in California. I know that all usdm are legit to swap except the b20 and jdm type R's since I did research but never got much for the jdm engines. Heres a list

    out of all these which ones are smog legal in CA

    JDM B16 versions
    90-93 integra jdm xsi/rsi b16a
    88-91 civic/crx si-r b16a
    92-00 civic/delsol si-r b16a2/3

    JDM B18C
    94-01 integra jdm gs-r b18c

    I plan on getting the jdm b18c or the xsi b16a only, is one of these smog legitable. and what would I need to get it done. all going into a obd-1 92 integra
    ATTENTION! This post has been edited from its original contents. You may want to check the message again to make sure no discrepancies occur that may adversely affect you.
    Last edited by da9bigboi : 13 Sep 2010 at 23:27:58

  2. #2

    Join Date
    13 Feb 2004
    Location
    Southern California, USA
    None are legal in Cali. To swap an engine in Cali it has to be a USDM and must be cleared for Cali. Not all USDM engines are 50 state legal either. Your best bet is to talk to the ref yourself and see what they say. Some people have gotten a JDM swap bar'd, but it takes work. All US emmisions equipment must be swapped over for starters. As far as to the letter of the law, none of those are legal in Cali. Thats why they are JDM motors that were not used in the US market.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    06 Sep 2008
    Location
    San Diego California, USA
    not true...you can bar a jdm motor, you just have to convert to all USDM emissions from the car it came from. I've seen several out there, and i spent plenty of time with the ref myself not too long ago. for example if you want to smog the b16 you either have to get it entirely to del sol B16 OBDI spec or 99-00 Si OBDII spec, intake manifold, ecu, egr, etc... just search around honda-tech i've seen 9-10 jdm bar'd cars floating around, ive seen a jdm bar'd b16 DA for sale on this site...

  4. #4

    Join Date
    31 Mar 2008
    Location
    Fresno, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by DAtung View Post
    not true...you can bar a jdm motor, you just have to convert to all USDM emissions from the car it came from. I've seen several out there, and i spent plenty of time with the ref myself not too long ago. for example if you want to smog the b16 you either have to get it entirely to del sol B16 OBDI spec or 99-00 Si OBDII spec, intake manifold, ecu, egr, etc... just search around honda-tech i've seen 9-10 jdm bar'd cars floating around, ive seen a jdm bar'd b16 DA for sale on this site...

    is all jdm b16a motors the same, like I mean, do they all have the same compression and hp etc...does it matter which model it came from too to get it bar'd like the del sol or SI obd-2?
    my preferance is the xsi/or the 94-up b18c gs-r jdm version since they both are from an integra. but my first choice is the 94-up since it has more hp. anybody w/ jdm b18c bar'd here. if not than I guess I'll go with the b16. I just want v-tec. Thanks

  5. #5

    Join Date
    13 Jul 2008
    Location
    concord california,usa
    I to am looking in to baring the b16a for my da so to understand this it would pass if i am obd1 plus all the delsol smog items ?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    09 Apr 2007
    Location
    Salt Lake Shitty, UT
    If you're swapping in a B16, you have two choices... Make all the emission equipment the same as the Del Sol VTEC, or the '99 Si.

    If your car is a '90-91, you'll need to convert to obd-1 (if going the Del Sol route), or convert it to obd-2 (if going the '99 Si route).

    If your car is a '92-93, it is easiest to stay obd-1 and just add any necessary emission controls to make it the same as a Del Sol vtec. Converting to obd2 would be just stupid as its not needed.

    To swap in a B18c, you will need to either be obd-1, or obd-2, and have all emission equipment that would be found on the respective car. (A '94 GSR or a '98 GSR)

    As a rule of thumb it is usually easier to go obd-1 as there are less emissions controls...

    Any B16 (or B18c) can be made obd-0, obd-1, or obd-2... you just need all of the sensors, ecu, and other emission controls that come on that style of obd you choose. But at the same time, you can't have an obd-0 B18c, as this type of combo was never produced by Honda, so it will never pass a true smog/referee inspection.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    13 May 2010
    Location
    Elk Grove, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by da9bigboi View Post
    ok, I'm looking to get a swap and wanted to know which engines are legit to smog and be bar'd by the referee here in California. I know that all usdm are legit to swap except the b20 and jdm type R's since I did research but never got much for the jdm engines. Heres a list

    out of all these which ones are smog legal in CA

    JDM B16 versions
    90-93 integra jdm xsi/rsi b16a
    88-91 civic/crx si-r b16a
    92-00 civic/delsol si-r b16a2/3

    JDM B18C
    94-01 integra jdm gs-r b18c

    I plan on getting the jdm b18c or the xsi b16a only, is one of these smog legitable. and what would I need to get it done. all going into a obd-1 92 integra
    Hey from what I've heard and researched all JDM motors are illegal in California unless it has been bar'd before 2009.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    31 Mar 2008
    Location
    Fresno, CA
    ok, I just got some research from google, so most likely I need

    usdm p30 ecu
    usdm p30 intake manifold
    usdm p30 throttle body

    so most likely needed is the usdm p30 ecu right
    can you subsitute the jdm p30 throttle body for a usdm 92-93 b18a1 throttle body?
    also subsitute the jdm p30 intake manifold for a skunk2 b-series intake manifold since the jdm p30 does not have a plug for I forgot what was it?
    and what about the catylac convertor, does it have to be from a delsol or can you use the stock?

  9. #9

    Join Date
    13 May 2010
    Location
    Elk Grove, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by da9bigboi View Post
    ok, I just got some research from google, so most likely I need

    usdm p30 ecu
    usdm p30 intake manifold
    usdm p30 throttle body

    so most likely needed is the usdm p30 ecu right
    can you subsitute the jdm p30 throttle body for a usdm 92-93 b18a1 throttle body?
    also subsitute the jdm p30 intake manifold for a skunk2 b-series intake manifold since the jdm p30 does not have a plug for I forgot what was it?
    and what about the catylac convertor, does it have to be from a delsol or can you use the stock?
    i'm guessing you're going with a b16a swap from a del sol sir
    so yeah you're going to need the usdm p30 ecu, im pretty sure the b18a1 throttle body will fit right on, and as for the catayltic convertor you should be able to use the stock one.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    31 Mar 2008
    Location
    Fresno, CA
    I really want more hp, but if the b16a is much more easy to get smog than the b18c than I'll just get the b16a. but first I'm going to try to contact the ref here and get some info.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    13 May 2010
    Location
    Elk Grove, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by da9bigboi View Post
    I really want more hp, but if the b16a is much more easy to get smog than the b18c than I'll just get the b16a. but first I'm going to try to contact the ref here and get some info.
    why dont you go with a usdm b18c1 instead of having to mod a JDM motor?

  12. #12

    Join Date
    09 Apr 2007
    Location
    Salt Lake Shitty, UT
    ^^ agreed

    Swapping a b18c isn't 'harder' than a b16.. the same things need to be done for each motor, save for a sensor or two.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    31 Mar 2008
    Location
    Fresno, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by DA9 kid View Post
    why dont you go with a usdm b18c1 instead of having to mod a JDM motor?
    a b18c1 is much more harder to get in a good condition that is not really abused, most have high mileage, and if I can trust the person I'm buying from. I rather look into a low mileage jdm engine, but if I come to find a b18c1 who an elderly person drove and wrecked, I jump on it. I don't know, I'll think about it. It might take some time to look for a good one around.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    31 Mar 2008
    Location
    Fresno, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by unified112 View Post
    ^^ agreed

    Swapping a b18c isn't 'harder' than a b16.. the same things need to be done for each motor, save for a sensor or two.
    I got some info that the jdm b18c has more hp than the b18c1, and its compression was to high or something like that. maybe I'm wrong. I'll be calling the ref today and I'll post my answer here later.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    09 Apr 2007
    Location
    Salt Lake Shitty, UT
    The difference in power between a jdm gsr and a usdm gsr is 10hp. The jdm motor has 10.6:1 compression compared to the usdm at 10.1:1.

    Though that shouldn't be THE reason you buy a jdm motor over a usdm motor. The overall health is what matters. Despite what many people say, compression doesn't mean everything.... on a fully built b-series motor, if you bump the compression from 10:1 to 11:1, you'll see maybe 3-4whp on a dyno. That's 4whp, on a BUILT and TUNED motor. We're talking about a .5 increase between the jdm and usdm motor.. on a stock ecu... not a big gain at all really.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    02 Nov 2008
    Location
    East Los CA
    You can pretty much bar any engine in any chassis as long as its a USDM engine, or not a truck engine.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    13 May 2010
    Location
    Elk Grove, CA
    yup its pretty hard to find a good usdm b18c1 that has low miles and hasnt been abused, and california isnt making it any easier for us to mod or swap our engines. its pretty frustrating

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •