Thread: Brakes won't stop my car!!!

psYcoSix

Brakes won't stop my car!!!

Hello,
    I recently got new pads and rotors for my car thinking it would solve my braking problem, it helped but it is still not the main reason I am not stopping well. I brought it to the garage and he told me that my rotors were bad never mentioned anything about the calipers in the front, however he said the back ones were in good condition.
    Anyway when I got to stop at a stop sign I have a hell of a time trying to get the car to stop, it almost as if I put my foot on the pedal and nothing happens. Now if this was my Master Brake Cylnder, would I be leaking any brake fluid? I'm not leaking any fluid as far as I know, and my fluid level is fine.
    Any Ideas?

SE-37K
    When the MC goes, it does not always leak fluid.

redrain35
    If the pedal has a spongy feel it could very well be the MC. Also, look for signs of brake fluid on your wheels, if you see any I would get your calipers checked again.

Explain the pedal feel and what you mean by not wanting to stop more. If as your coming to a stop the pedal goes to the floor and doesn't seem to be slowing you down very much, then you let off and push it agian and it's a little firmer but goes to the floor again then it's most likely your master cylinder. They almost never leak externally. The weakness is when fluid leaks past the internal seals. Could also bee your booster. It's unlikely that both front calipers would die at the same time.

have you tried bleeding the system?

....in the mean time bust out the fred flinstone technique

psYcoSix
    Ok I will try and describe the way the pedal feels to me
    When I am aproaching a stop sign, I start to put on the break and for the first 1/4 of the pedal there is nothing, it's very easy to push in and little to no stopping force at all. At about 1/2 way in I start to stop, now to save wear to my rotors I do not go 3/4 of the way in unless I absolutley have to. I normalyy just keep pumping 1/2 way in until it stops.

Another things that is wierd with my brakes, if I am on a steep hill and I have to stop, my brakes will slip for a sec and make a loud grinding like noise, very hard to hold the car in place. Then they will hold fine, I know alot of people have problems with there master cylnders, that why I thought that might be it.

So whats the deal? I sure hope it's not my calipers
    Thanks So Much Guys your a life saver

psYcoSix
    *bump*

Please help me

Sounds like master cylinder, assuming there's no air in your lines. If you can push your pedal all the way to the floor (or almost all the way) and the brakes don't stop you, and you're not leaking fluid and there's no air in the lines, then it's your master cylinder. If your pedal is really hard to push far to get you to stop, then it's probably your brake booster.

JDMDA9
    When I am aproaching a stop sign, I start to put on the break and for the first 1/4 of the pedal there is nothing, it's very easy to push in and little to no stopping force at all. At about 1/2 way in I start to stop, now to save wear to my rotors I do not go 3/4 of the way in unless I absolutley have to. I normalyy just keep pumping 1/2 way in until it stops.
    I am also having some serious brake issues. My brakes exhibited the sames syptoms as above. I had one of the Techs I work with put in a BRAND NEW Honda master cylinder on Wednesday. It seemed to help initially (the pedal stiffend up slightly and the brakes were able to lock again), but now the pedal feels EXACTLY the same. He bled it, connected all the vacuum hoses and installed everything correctly.

Maybe a vacuum leak could be causing this particular problem in brake systems??? Anyone else have any thoughts...

]

Easy way to see if it's a vacuum leak, disconnect the vacuum line to the brake booster while the car is idling, the idle should jump up, if not, then the booster is leaking. Then put your finger over the vacuum hose (blocking the vacuum to the intake manifold), the idle should drop. If the idle drops lower with your finger than it does when connected to the brake booster, then the booster is leaking.

JDMDA9
    Well, I don't think this is a vacuum issue. I tried the test you outlined, spikius, and my booster appears to be in perfect shape.

What else could cause this problem? Brake line expansion, brake line blockage, something with the proportioning valve?

I'm having the same prob... my pedal goes all the way to the floor.. but then later on that day it will be fine... doesnt make sense.

aerohit
    it happens with me too
    this is what i believe- try driving at night or early morning when its cool outside, brakes should work fine during this time. But if it happens during daytime when its hot - then most likely its the MC.
    Am i right?

nonsense
    when my master cyl. went bad it was worse when it was hot out (or under the hood at least). If you replcased the MC and are still having those symptoms I'd check your brake hoses for expansion or bubbles (this happened to me on an old VW I had and has hard to diagnose until somone noticed the line was buldging when trying to bleed the brakes)

Steve