Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what does a bad inner cv boot sound like?

what does a bad inner cv boot sound like?

ive done a search and mainly resulted in the outer cv boots and i know itll click when turning whent he axles are shot.... my question is, what kidns of diagnostic sounds would inner cv boot/shaft make? as posted in aa previous threead, i can see that there is grease splattered from my inner passenger cv boot but cannot see any tear. i hear a clicking noise that kinda sound like a loud jack in the box turned over once( so one rolling noise). this happens when i brake and almsot always when i accelerate from dead stop.

The torn CV boots won't make a noise -- it's the CV joints that make the noise after the boots have torn and the grease has been lost.

How to test your CV joints:
    -find an empty parking lot
    -stop
    -crank wheel to the left
    -drive slowly in a circle. If you hear clicking, your passenger side axle is probably shot.
    -stop
    -crank wheel to right
    -drive slowly in a circle. If you hear clicking, your driver's side axle is probably shot.

HTH
    Wray

Vtecnik29
    Oh crap! Is that what that sound is?? My mechanic replaced all my CV boots about a week and a half ago and whenever I back out of my driveway I hear that sound you just talked about. Crap. To a parking lot tomorrow I go...

Disinfo
    Dunno about noises but when one of my Inner CVs was shot I got a bad vibration throuhg the steering at between 90 and 120km/h

hey 90rio, doesnt the clicking on turns ONLY happen when the outer cvs are shot? what could it be if im just going in a straight line when braking and accelerating.. sometimes i actually get baffled cuz it seems like the sound comes from my rigth and left and only hear one to 3 light hollow sounds i mentioned above.. its not constant as i turn or drive.. like i said only a coupel of noises then as im driving, no noise.. weird.. maybe it could be my camber kit?

Jon, I'd get your car up on stands and just have a peek at all of your boots .. if they are split, time to replace (the axle).
    Steve

i hav eactually and the pass inner boot has grease on them but when i put it on a lift with a friend, thre was NO boot damage which was odd... all the other boots are perfectly fine..??

think it could be a ball joint?

Do any of the boots look deformed or stretched out? I had one go bad without the boot ever ripping. You could tell that the joint was seperating because the boot was stretched and deformed. Might not hurt to take another look.

im plannin on actually reassembling the boot with my freind.. we can probably tell then if there is shaft damage. getting it hopefully the end of this week

G2IC Dark Overlord
    A bad inner joint will pop and crack like the outer one. It just takes a lot more wear for that to happen. I have had both my inner joints crack and pop on me from being torn. I just replaced them with 2 new axles.

Later,
    BR

wut kinda noise did it make BR?

G2IC Dark Overlord
    Originally posted by BlueG2
    wut kinda noise did it make BR?
    It makes the same noise as the outer one when it goes bad. It just takes a lot longer for the inner joint to go bad since it doesnt have nearly as much movement as the outer ones do.

Later,
    BR

so it makes the noise when you turn ONLY? cuz i dont get any noise at all when i turn only when i accelerate and sometimes when i stop.

G2IC Dark Overlord
    The inner boot will make the noise no matter what way your wheels are pointed. They inner CV joints have nothing to do with turning the car, thus they will not make more or less noise during turning.

Basically, whenever there is stress on the bad joint is when it will make that noise. If your inner joints are making that noise then you need to get some new axles with a quickness before one of them breaks on you. That would be a ver bad thing, especially considering the fact that axles are relatively cheap and easy to replace.

Later,
    BR

ok i got my friend to check it out and there was grease leaking cuz the last person who changed the boot didnt use a diff clamp and just used electric tape and the old clamp to clmap it back(talk about ghetto) but yeah.. there was NO damage to the axle at all and my friend topped off the boot with cv grease and re clamped it properly.. the noise is still there so i have no idea whats makeing the noise.. very weird.

Jon, replacing the boot is koo if you catch it early enough .. but sounds like your inner joint is going on you .. either there is dirt inside, or the joints are worn because of the loss of lubrication before.

IMO, I always change the complete axle, it's not too expensive of a part to buy.
    Steve

like i said though.. there is NO boot damage or axle damage at all... so i have no idea what it is.. kinda sounds liek the upper arm hitting.. but then im thinking it woulda put a nice dent by now and ive been lowered for a year already

so yeah i didnt even need to replace the boot.. some grease just leaked a bit from the loose clamp

G2IC Dark Overlord
    Originally posted by BlueG2
    like i said though.. there is NO boot damage or axle damage at all...
    Thats where your wrong. There is CV joint damage and that is what it making your axle click like that, even with new grease inside the boot.

Look at it this way. Your axle is screwed so you are going to have to put a new one on. Dont stress it. They are cheap and easy to do. A hell of a lot easier than replacing a blown boot.

Just replace that axle and your problematic noise will go away.

Later,
    BR

how can you tell the noise im describing is the axle/cv boot? my friend whose a mechanice was looking at it and took the whole cv boot apart and looked at the axle itslef.... also, the noise it makes isnt a constant light clicking sound which the outer cv boot makes when you turn.. the sound i hear when i accelerate is a hollow"doink" sound once or maybe twice at most and then is gone..sometimes it even sounds like its coming from diff palces of my car..

G2IC Dark Overlord
    Then maybe you should try to find a good axle to borrow and slap on there. If the noise goes away it is the axle and if not then you can take that off of the list of things to check.

Later,
    BR