Thread: stock B20 w/ turbo?

Konflix Integra

stock B20 w/ turbo?

How much boost can a stock B20Z hold? How about a B20B? Saved up $2000 to fix my DA, and I am thinking about A B20 turbo. I can sale some parts to get some money, and I have a T18 (I think) w/ internal wastegate bent to do 7psi. The toyota AE86 is a fun car and all, but I miss my teggie.

Konflix Integra
    This is all the turbo guide says, The B20 motor is a direct replacement for the B18A/B. The only advantage of the B20 over the LS motor is the extra two tenths of a liter displacement. This extra displacement comes at a price however. In order to achieve 2.0 liters of displacement the cylinder sleeves are manufactured at 84mm instead of the 81mm on other B series sleeves. The design of these sleeves varies slightly from other Honda sleeves which accounts for their cracking more easily. A simpler way to achieve the 2.0 liters of displacement is to resleeve a LS motor and bore it to 84mm. Also consider that the B20 is much harder to find, which can make them considerably more expensive than a LS motor. B20 compression ratios are 8.8:1, 9.2:1, or 9.6:1 depending on year.

TheManOhYea
    Quote Originally Posted by Konflix Integra
    How much boost can a stock B20Z hold? How about a B20B? Saved up $2000 to fix my DA, and I am thinking about A B20 turbo. I can sale some parts to get some money, and I have a T18 (I think) w/ internal wastegate bent to do 7psi. The toyota AE86 is a fun car and all, but I miss my teggie.
    Honestly dude.. Don't bother going B20 turbo.. I just got my b20 a few days ago, and i have been trying to figure out what to do with it..

Let me give you an idea of what u need to do.. Relseeve the block.. 1000USD not including shipping and such pistons, 400, rods 600, while ur there. might as well micropolish and balance the crank. (don't remember the price on that one) then you need to get the typical shit ie turbo, IC, BOV, ect. this will easily be 4000-5000 when said and done.

Your best off to find a b20b or z.. i found my b20b at www.car-part.com for 900CAN from a local wrecker. Now you have this motor you will probably want a decent clutch.. ie Exedy or CM ect.. mine cost me 420CAN so i am up to 1300 just for motor and clutch.. so you need to buy all the fluids, plugs,belts, gaskets if your changing over your LS mani's over, so ur looking easy 150CAN for that shit.. resurface your flywheel or buy a new one 75CAN for new one 35CAN for resurfaced (i am getting an new one) and then there is install charge.. well.. a friend and i are doing it so its costing me a little but i am sure some shops will charge 500+ for a swap. so

500 <-- not what i am paying but we'll use it for an example
    ---
    2045CAN

so your looking at roughly this much or more for a b20 swap.. So all in all what ever you think your gonna spend add 30% more to it to give you a better idea I hope this helps.

Konflix Integra
    Please just answer my question. I appriciate the help, but I have all my turbo parts from a previous B18A build. I have a blown headgasket on my B20Z motor in the cornor of my garage. I have close to 2100 bucks, and just want to port and polish the head and fix the head gasket problem. Before I blew the head, I had 198, 189, 187, and 193 across the board. so here is my list.

Port and polish head --------- $600
    OE honda gaskets (not head)- $250
    SCE Head gasket--------------$70
    Motor tune-up w/ fluids-------$200
    Re dyno tune S-AFC for turbo on wide band $300
    I already have the motor, turbo parts, ect. Just want to know the tech please.

search on honda tech. Many people crack b20 sleeves.

Ben

TheManOhYea
    Please just answer my question. I appriciate the help, but I have all my turbo parts from a previous B18A build. I have a blown headgasket on my B20Z motor in the cornor of my garage. I have close to 2100 bucks, and just want to port and polish the head and fix the head gasket problem. Before I blew the head, I had 198, 189, 187, and 193 across the board. so here is my list.

Port and polish head --------- $600
    OE honda gaskets (not head)- $250
    SCE Head gasket--------------$70
    Motor tune-up w/ fluids-------$200
    Re dyno tune S-AFC for turbo on wide band $300
    I already have the motor, turbo parts, ect. Just want to know the tech please.
    You already answered your own question when you looked at the turbo guide. I was providing you with a rough idea for what you would need to do..

Since no one wants to answer your question, ill throw you a bone. My b20B held 9psi and went mid 12's all day long doing so. This was with a bigger turbo than you are thinking of running as well(t3/t04e). This was a basic fmu/ stock injector setup, which i dont reccomned for 9psi, but hey it ran for a long time like that. Realistically i would recommend 6-7psi on that small turbo...The b20 def. has an inferior sleeve design, so staying out of detonation is key...
    90ls-slow
    95ls-slower
    88si-slowest

CALIB17A

re: quick da6

staying out of detonation is key...
    search on honda tech. Many people crack b20 sleeves.
    Listen to Ben I've seen thread after thread about the weak b20 sleeve. Get a b18, sleeve it to 84mm, if funds don't allow your better off boosting a stock b18.
    Staying out of detonation is key for any build but the b20 is notorious for cracking sleeves under boost.

Quote Originally Posted by CALIB17A
    Listen to Ben I've seen thread after thread about the weak b20 sleeve. Get a b18, sleeve it to 84mm, if funds don't allow your better off boosting a stock b18.
    Staying out of detonation is key for any build but the b20 is notorious for cracking sleeves under boost.
    If he bought a b18, sleeved it to 84mm...then he would essentially have a b20, no?

He only has $2100...i stay stick with the plan you have an hope you get as lucky as quickda6
    www.xenocron.com

All of the sites you can find me on:
    | Honda Tech | Home Made Turbo | VW Vortex | Innovative Forums | PGMFI | EFI101 |

CALIB17A

re: xenocran

Yes, the same displacement of a b20, but sleeved will be able to take the boost pressures. A b20 in naturally aspirated form will last but boosted, .
    I've read it cracks on a certain cylinder, I don't remember which one though. A b18 is also more available and less expensive than the b20's. Ask some machine shops (Bensons, RS Machine, AEBS, Dart) they'll be able to tell you which one is stronger.

Experience is the best teacher but it's cheaper to learn from someone else's mistakes than your own.

Konflix Integra
    Quote Originally Posted by quickda6
    Since no one wants to answer your question, ill throw you a bone. My b20B held 9psi and went mid 12's all day long doing so. This was with a bigger turbo than you are thinking of running as well(t3/t04e). This was a basic fmu/ stock injector setup, which i dont reccomned for 9psi, but hey it ran for a long time like that. Realistically i would recommend 6-7psi on that small turbo...The b20 def. has an inferior sleeve design, so staying out of detonation is key...
    Will be running 6psi on apex safc tuned. Thanks, exactly what I was looking for in a answer. Dont really drag race cause I don't have a track near, Closet on in the area is bristol motor speedway and its 50miles one way. I have the Great smokey mountian national park on the appalacin mts with the highest road @ 6000ft and ridges with 1000 ft drops on the other side of the rail to speed down at 90 mph.

CALIB17A

re: Konflix Integra

Konflix Integra
    Thanks, according to that, I sould be fine with a T16 dyno tuned on wideband with a S-AFC will be fast and reliable.