JDM B18C swap preparation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JDM B18C swap preparation

I'm preparing for a JDM B18C OBD-1 swap into my 90 DA. Just wanted to make sure I have everything ready. Already read the swap guide but it seems a little outdated. It didn't even list this engine as an option. It did list the OBD-2 B18C. I think the B18C1 USDM would be the closest. Yet those instructions state you can't use the ECU from the B18C. However, I read you can just get an OBD-0 to OBD-1 jumper harness. I think those instructions need to be updated. Anyways, I digress. The B18C will include the hydraulic tranny. I will have a shop do the installation. These are the items I think I will need:

1. Hasport cable to hydraulic kit.
    2. OBD-0 to OBD-1 jumper harness.

Anything else I need?? What about any other wiring? Upper radiator hose from a GSR? (I read that somewhere). I know my stock axles and motor mounts will work.

Thanks for your comments!

You need to run all of the wiring for vtec and the knock sensor, as well as the IABS for the GSR intake manifold.

And since your car is obd0, you'll have to re-pin your distributor so it will plug in.

You'll use the obd0 injectors as long as you keep the resistor box. if you're wanting to use the obd1 injectors, it will require removing the resistor box and changing the pigtails on the harness.

Yes you'll also need the trans conversion and obd0 to obd1 harness.

Comment

Originally posted by unified112 View Post
      You need to run all of the wiring for vtec and the knock sensor, as well as the IABS for the GSR intake manifold.

And since your car is obd0, you'll have to re-pin your distributor so it will plug in.

You'll use the obd0 injectors as long as you keep the resistor box. if you're wanting to use the obd1 injectors, it will require removing the resistor box and changing the pigtails on the harness.

Yes you'll also need the trans conversion and obd0 to obd1 harness.

Thanks! The B18C will come with a distributor. Do I still need to re-pin that distributor?

Comment

Your car is wired for an OBD0 distributor... the plugs will differ on the B18C distributor.

Its easiest to de-pin your old distributor and swap those plugs on the new unit, that way it will still plug in as normal. Or you can cut and splice the plugs, it just doesn't look as clean. OR, order the conversion harness from the same place you order the vtec subharness from. RyWire, BoomSlang, whoever.

Comment

Thanks. I checked out RyWire and they sell a kit for that. I also did more research and it looks like I'll also need a fan switch and OBD-1 reverse light plug for the tranny? Found someone on Ebay who includes those additional wiring in their kit and still cheaper overall than RyWire.

Comment

your gonna need new engine mounts

Comment

You will also need to make sure you know how to match driveshaft components. if swapping gearbox too

Comment

Originally posted by escudogt2 View Post
                your gonna need new engine mounts
                No, I've read and been told my stock motor mounts will work.

Comment

As long as you swap the driver-side bracket that bolts to the motor with 3 bolts and use your b18a bracket, the rest should bolt up I believe.

Comment

The JDM ODB1 B18C is the same as the USDM B18C1 as far as swapping goes.

Mounts: You need to use the mounts from your Integra (you have to take driver's side motor mount bracket off of your B18A and mount it to the B18C). The Hydro transmission does not have allocations for the stock DA front mount. In Lieu of this, I would just run a slightly stiffer mount (Innovative, Hasport, HCP). The three attacment points will be fine, but if you ever run a full race traction bar you won't be able to utilize the front attachment point.

ECU: You can use the P72 ECU with a jumper harness. No problems there. The jumper harness along with an OBD-1 Coversion harness will work.

Axles: If you use your axles from your B18A, you will have to use the half shaft from your B18A as well. You will also need to replace the passenger side axle seal in the Hydro transmission as it is a different diameter than the B18A halfshaft.

Accessories: If you plan on running PS, you will need a Gen2 GSR Upper and lower power steering bracket. Most people are not running AC these days, so unless you ask we'll forget about it.

Speed sensor: The Gen2 doesn't use the VSS signal but has a cable driven speedometer. Use the speed sensor from your B18A transmission.

As the author of the swap guide I know it needs a bit of updating, but the infomation is still quite relevant to your swap.
                    Dan
                    92 GS-"R"
                    13.9 @ 100mph
                    17" street tires

Comment

Dan,

Thanks. Yeah, actually plan to run PS and AC. My original AC actually still works after 20 years! Although I don't use it much where I live. I was told by engine seller that I can just attach my stock AC to the B18C. I'm guessing the bolt holes must match up even though I know the compressors are different based on Honda model numbers.

For the PS I read I just need the upper PS bracket since the lower PS brackets are all the same for B series.

By the way, I don't have the motor yet as it's in transit from Canada now.

Lance

Comment

You will need to use your stock B18A AC bracket and idler pulley. You will need to use your B18A crankshaft pulley as well as the 90-93 Integras have the stupid "V" belt unlike other B18C motors.
                        Dan
                        92 GS-"R"
                        13.9 @ 100mph
                        17" street tires

Comment

Originally posted by G2guru View Post
                          You will need to use your B18A crankshaft pulley as well as the 90-93 Integras have the stupid "V" belt unlike other B18C motors.
                          Damn you're good. After reading that I indeed recall a difference between the B18A pulley and the B18B I eventually swapped in.

Comment

Originally posted by G2guru View Post
                            You will need to use your stock B18A AC bracket and idler pulley. You will need to use your B18A crankshaft pulley as well as the 90-93 Integras have the stupid "V" belt unlike other B18C motors.
                            Thanks. Looks like the toughest thing in this swap is to get the upper P/S bracket, lol!

Comment

Geting the same work done, go big

Comment

Working...
                              X