engine swap help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine swap help

which would be cheaper and better to do. i have a 90 LS.
    1. a b20 swap
    2. a b16 swap
    3. a b17 gsr swap

please help. im still learing about engines.

Please read the engine swap guide on the teg tips page. It should help you a bit in your decision. Although it doesn't cover the B20. The B20 is an easy swap, but requires a bit more "finess" to make it work than let's say a B16A or B17A. First there's the intake manifold. Sometimes they come with the SUPER tall manifold that cannot be used. Therefore you have to use your 90-91 manifold. The dipstick on teh B20 with tall manifold is super tall as well, so that requires modification. Also, the B20 is essentially a B18A with more torque due to increased bore size. 10 more hp than the 90-91 B18A. Hope this helps.

Comment

thank you very much. i want to do a swap but don't know what to do.

Comment

A B17 swap wuld be hard, ONLY because of cost, they are rare and usually hard to find one with low miles. I bet the easiest for you would be a 1 gen JDM B16 swap.

Comment

a b20 should yield more than a 10 hp increase, unless its a usdm b20b

Comment

if u really want power go with the B20.

Comment

i've seen enough b20 dynos (jdm b20b and usdm b20z) to know they've got potential. 140whp avg. with bolt ons at the most (somtimes a test pipe too). that's a good 160 flywheel hp.

I'm looking forward to shedding my stock '90 restrictions to get my deserved power out of my b20.

Even now, if i let the clutch out above 2500 rpms i'll spin the entire first gear (first 3 at the track) with regular stock street tires.

d

Comment

thanks guys, i was just wondering cause i found a b17 complete with tranny and ecu for 3 grand. i just didn't know if thats a good way to go or the b20 or b16 swap.

Comment

Is it just me or a non-vtec B20 with the G2 tranny, would beat a G2 GSR? or does the GSR tranny give it the advantage?

Comment

Working...
                  X