Readme

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hybrid vtec Tranny Owners (vtec tranny w/ ls 5th)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hybrid vtec Tranny Owners (vtec tranny w/ ls 5th)

As some of you know i just bought a b17a longblock and i need to start getting prices on everything else that i'll need. One thing is a tranny.

I doubt i'll be able to find a 92-93 gsr tranny with low miles for a decent price. So i'm thinking i'll put my ls 5th gear into a b16a tranny. But i need to know how much you guys paid to have the swap done? And if anyone did it themselves? Cause if its not too hard i might attempt it myself.

any input is greatly appreciated. thanks.

I've heard its not too hard to do. Dan would be the man to ask (duh!). I plan on doing it myself too, but I need to research it more.

Don't give up on the GS-R YS1. I just stumbled onto one myself, and I always thought the way you did. Now my B17A1 setup will almost be complete!

-Steve

Comment

hehe

make sure its a 92-93 instead of the 90-91. I think the one you are looking for is the 92-93. Its different from the 90-91. I can't remember the ratio...

Comment

dayuiz: yeah, i'm definitely not ruling out the gsr ys1, its just i don't want to make it my only option. Basically i'm going to go with whichever route is cheaper and has lowest miles.

vietG: i'm not sure what you're talking about. I am either going to get a 92-93 gsr ys1 tranny, or an 89-91 jdm b16a s1/y1/j1 tranny, and put my ls 5th in it.

another problem is the clutch situation. My stock clutch is going out, and it might not make it till i swap the engine in. If it doesn't then that means i have to buy a clutch for my teg. And if that happens then i can't get the gsr ys1 because my new clutch won't fit.

Comment

I see your problem with the clutch. Just take it easy with your current one and try to make it last.

I'm actually in the same situation. My clutch is also going out, but now that I have the GSR YS1 that comes with a CenterForce Stage III clutch, I'm in luck. I can just put the tranny and clutch on and be done with it. Well a new flywheel too.

-Steve

Comment

i was talking about the LS final gear....the 5th one...

Comment

I'd like to also refer all the tranny-knowers to this thread which I started... http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthrea...&threadid=1756. It's about swapping the internals from a hyrdro into our LS casing.

Comment

teg92: yeah i am so far the only one to post to that thread. and the hydro gears are not an option here.

vietG: check out this site: http://tiiite.b16a.com/Bgears.htm

Comment

91IntegGS: Why are the hydro gears not an option?

Comment

cause, that'd be more money. I can find a y1/s1/j1 tranny for probably $350. no way i could get a hydro tranny for that.

Comment

Yeah, don't give up on the GSR YS1, I was lucky and found one with only 80K miles for a more than decent price. Also, don't forget that the JDM YS1 is the exact same thing and some of those even have LSD.

I too am planning on putting my LS 5th gear in there. I'm still not totally sure how it will work with the GSR final drive, but I'm going to research it some more and ask some guys at the Acura dealer I work for.

Comment

Okay.......I tired to explain this to you the first time......the tranny on the b16a and the b17a are basically the exact same, actually the 5th gear in the b16a is a bit wider then in the g2 gsr. .085 b16a and .088 G2 GSR......u have no reason to swap an LS 5th unless ur gonna be cruising often over 100mph. But there is no reason to swap a 5th LS into the b16a tranny, vs a 5th LS in the b17a tranny.

Comment

Originally posted by YellowIntegra
                          But there is no reason to swap a 5th LS into the b16a tranny, vs a 5th LS in the b17a tranny.
                          Explain your reasoning, I don't have much knowledge about transmissions, our collective reasoning is lower revs during hwy driving for better fuel economy. How often do you punch it in 5th anyway? I'm not sure what those numbers were that you posted but according to this site, GSR = .875 and the LS = .742?

Comment

yellowintegra: there has to be a reason why people put their ls 5th gear into b16a trannies, otherwise no one would spend the time and money to do it.

from what i hear the b16a 5th gear leaves you at around 5k rpms when going 80mph. Thats enough to lower your gas mileage and decrease engine life. I do a lot of freeway driving (usually 80-85mph). There is a difference in gearing cause goint 85mph in my car now i'm just barely at 4k rpms. So, obviously there has to be a difference.

and if i can have 4 short gears for fun driving, and keep my ls 5th gear to help keep gas costs down, and engine life up then i'll do it.

does anyone have any info?? like how easy it was to do? or how much they had to pay to have it done?? I know there are a few of you guys out there who have it!

Comment

Since i swapped in a JDM Y1 tranny...my RPM is about 4250-4400 at 80 MPH =( but i can accelerate pretty quickly to pass a car w/ out changing gears. My original LS auto tranny was at 3700 RPM at 80 MPH. As for my gas milage... i think i lost about 40 miles.

Comment

Working...
                              X