time for rebuild?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

time for rebuild?

so i just rolled over 190k in my teg, which has now burned a quart of oil in the last 400 miles or so, and i'm wondering if maybe i should start thinking about rebuilding the engine sometime soon. it seems to be down on power a bit too. i'm a bit tight on cash right now though with college coming up in the fall so if it's safe to put this off until next summer then i would rather do that, however that kind of oil consumption really concerns me and i dont particularly feel like getting stranded somewhere in the middle of summer.

so my questions are should i be looking at rebuilding the bottom end sooner rather than later and if so what kind of costs aside from parts am i looking at? i'm planning on doing most of the work myself although im pretty much a newb so what should i expect to pay for random machining work and what if anything should i really leave to a professional?

maybe all u need to do is just replace the rings, which shouldn't cost you that much, but if its the original motor w/190k then yea might be a good time to rebuild it or just buy another lower milage motor (easyer)... rebuilding it shouldn't cost you to much probably $500 top for full gasket, bearings, piston rings, rehone... if u still got cash to spare probably replace the timing belt, water pump, oil pump... but yea up to you, can go rebuilt or replace...

Comment

Working...
    X