Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

get a hemi

Comment

Can I ask why you want to swap your motor out? $2500 into a B18A will make notable power and can still remain legal. It's just a suggestion, but seems to make the most sense to me.

For $2500 you could:

NA Stage 2 cams
      Cam gears
      Intake and intake manifold
      throttlebody
      exhaust
      header
      and an upgraded ECU
      Still have money left over

I mean is there anything wrong with your motor? If it is healthy then why waste the time and money? Oh and all of this should still be under budget with a local shop installing all of it.

Comment

b18a

Comment

buy a high comp B20. crower cams and boltons. Hondata S100(dirt cheap) and i dont think you wll be anywhere near 2000 dollars

Comment

Originally posted by coke View Post
            if you choose b16 you will regret

gsr or ls is the way
            There is nothing regretful about having a B16A in the DA, nonsense.

Comment

how come i know few people regret they didnt swap a gsr or ls instead of a b16?

i drove a da with full b16 swap for a few mins , it pulled hard just because it has a b16 tranny, but still it didnt feel as powerful as a ls bolt ons

its just me, i dont like how b16 makes all the power in higher rpms

b16 is a great motor with tons of aftermarket supports, but i would never pick b16 over a b18b

Comment

That's great and that's your opinion just like mine is a opinion, but the b18b will never be better than the B16A no matter what you think. And, to your friends who regretted getting a B16A they probably didn't build their car to be balanced for the b16. If you're building the car just to go fast in a straight line, then go ahead, the B16A is definitely not for that nor the B18B.

There's too many variables to say, "What's the best swap for the money?" You can get a B18B for a couple hundred, but then whats the point going from the same motor? A B16A OBD0 is $1550 and the B18C longblock is $1599 from www.hmotorsonline.com If you get a B18C longblock you still need a good transmission to get the right use out of it.

Comment

i have to say b16 is a better motor overall, still as a daily you need more low end power , i am just saying if you hit vtec all the time, you burn more fuel, you need to change your oil often, you are shortening the motors life staying in higher rpms

ls with b16 tranny would be hella fun for daily and you save gas , reliable its also under his bugdet

for track ,a built turbo b16 is always better and faster than a ls with similar setup, going straight line i would recommend a qsd h2b swap

i dont know about building the car balance with b16, but b16 is a stock da motor in japan, its meant to be in a da, the car was desinged with that motor

dont forget we are thinking for him , whats the best for him

he def wont be doing the swap himself, so thats a good 800 off from his budget to have a shop install it, so he got 1700 for a complete change over

1550 +shipping for b16

700 ls long block +550 b16 tranny + shipping

these all from hmotor online

say normal daily driving is around 4000 rpm, ls pulls hard but a b16 is not opend yet, if he likes rev hard b16 its his choice, but have fun blowing it after 5 6 years

Comment

A B16A does not die after 5 or 6 years, where do you get this information from?

Comment

Originally posted by darkstarsinner View Post
                      Can I ask why you want to swap your motor out? $2500 into a B18A will make notable power and can still remain legal. It's just a suggestion, but seems to make the most sense to me.

For $2500 you could:

NA Stage 2 cams
                      Cam gears
                      Intake and intake manifold
                      throttlebody
                      exhaust
                      header
                      and an upgraded ECU
                      Still have money left over

I mean is there anything wrong with your motor? If it is healthy then why waste the time and money? Oh and all of this should still be under budget with a local shop installing all of it.
                      i agree , thats what im doing , besides gsr have less torque than an ls
                      Last edited by Jays91ls; 23 Jan 2010, 17:19:54. Reason: mispelled

Comment

Thank you for all the help guys. To the people who's asking why am I planning on getting a complete changeover, it's because when I bought the car, old owner decides to put a b18b from a 96 dc teggy. Seems like nothing was done right. It overheats quickly, wiring all messed up, and the tranny is about to die pretty soon. I need new axles, motor mounts are ripped, alot of other problems that I don't even wanna deal with.

I decided the best route would be to just get everything complete at once and done right the first time. I also found someone on ht who works at his own shop and has done many swaps and he's willing to do the install for 500.

Thanks for all the input. Anything else that you guys have in mind please post it. It is greatly appreciated.

I'm still having a hard time deciding, but with all this info it has done nothing but good. Thanks again

Comment

As far as the over heating it may just be a head gasket or even something less complicated. It could just be a thermostat, or the radiator could be messed up. Things you will still have to deal with with the new motor.

I understand that you are just wanting to be rid of the motor. But I truly hope you are looking at the long run. You could have a very nice, B18B for the same amount you are about to put into a swap. The guy who owns the shop should be able to diagnose the motors issues for you. And as posted before you will have money left over after running that list for some nice new motor mounts, or a new radiator. I just don't want you to throw all of this money into a swap and whined up disappointed. But just understand that the problems that are there now, may still need to be fixed after the new motor is swapped in. Take it to someone who is experienced and have them check it out. You may save yourself a lot of headaches.

Comment

in your case is pointless to swap a motor,

i am in the same boat , i bought a car with BHG, overheats lot, on my way back home with the car, it dead on freeway , piston rings locked

i just took the head off, trying to clean the grease from blcok and tranny, i will throw in some new gaskets and a new thermostat

2500 will give your car a fresh rebuild inside and out side

if you work on it yourself , with 2500 you are aiming at 160 -170 hp with more torque and mid low end power than a bolt on gsr, nice suspension and interior

Comment

Originally posted by MattyG2 View Post
                              A B16A does not die after 5 or 6 years, where do you get this information from?
                              took the words right out of my mouth!!

Comment

Working...
                              X