b17 transmission swap b18a1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

b17 transmission swap b18a1

if i got a b17 transmission, are there any other necessary parts needed to swap into a b18a1

of if anyone knows any transmission swap thread that would be wonderful.

i blew my tranny on the freeway and i need some help / knowlege on a transmission swap

please drop any information you can help me out with, thanks!

the b17 tranny should be a ys1 short geared tranny and it will bolt right in.. nothing else needed

Comment

^^ yes it fits right in, but short gear on a none v-tec motor seem like a waste

Comment

Originally posted by turboda4dr View Post
        but short gear on a none v-tec motor seem like a waste
        Please explain your viewpoint. I personally don't see any reason (performance oriented) why he would prefer the longer geared trans.

I used a gsr ys1 with my b18a for years, it's a blast to drive, MUCH more fun than the stock long geared trans.

In regard to fitment, the others are correct, just make sure you use the correct clutch disk for your transmission.

Comment

yeah man go for it

you will LOVE the gearing on the LS engine

i had a B16 trans on my 95 LS dirt track car and it felt way more powerful with no other engine mods , just changing the trans

like colin said make sure you use the correct clutch

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
            Please explain your viewpoint. I personally don't see any reason (performance oriented) why he would prefer the longer geared trans.

I used a gsr ys1 with my b18a for years, it's a blast to drive, MUCH more fun than the stock long geared trans.

In regard to fitment, the others are correct, just make sure you use the correct clutch disk for your transmission.
            YES! the only thing I miss about my Y1 is fuel economy. Other then that, my YS1 is great. Even when I had my stock B18B.

The biggest mistake people make with LS motors, the belief that we don't have top end or can't have it.

With proper setup, building the head, you can optain incredible results. LS motors have a huge growth capability.

Comment

Originally posted by team123luder View Post
              YES! the only thing I miss about my Y1 is fuel economy.
              I never noticed a drop in mileage due to my shorter geared trans, still got 25-27 city and 28-30 highway same as before my swap. The gas mileage thing is really all over the map and I think it depends a lot on driving style.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                I never noticed a drop in mileage due to my shorter geared trans, still got 25-27 city and 28-30 highway same as before my swap. The gas mileage thing is really all over the map and I think it depends a lot on driving style.
                mileage is almost solely a result of driving style.
                my mom can pull 30+ out of her car, i borrowed it for a few weeks while i was having work done on my last car and could not even get 25mpg
                old lady, highway driving, slushbox-mode auto trans vs. lead-foot me, stop and go traffic, tiptronic-mode..

lulz

Comment

I would have to agree with the above posters. My mileage didnt drop significantly at all with my short geared trans. In fact (and maybe someone else noticed this) in the city my mileage probably increased a small bit because of how I could drive the car...

You see, with a 5th gear that is so short, I can do 50 or 60km/h easily in 5th thereby keeping the rpms low and using less fuel. Its almost liking have a "D" gear on a manual trans. You just get the car moving, put in in 5th and drive around. Also 2nd gear now becomes useful in stop-and-go traffic. You can come to an almost complete stop without having to shift into first.

Downsides? you have to shift more often in low speed traffic, and at highway speeds you will have to go slower to maintain the same gas mileage. Alternatively if you like to go fast on the highway the car can be pretty loud living at those higher rpm's.

Upsides? car accelerates faster, is more fun to drive and you can use 5th in the city a lot more.

I would recommend the short geared trans to anyone who wants a little more out of their b18. Its a blast!

Comment

Originally posted by OMG Its Weasel View Post
                    mileage is almost solely a result of driving style.
                    my mom can pull 30+ out of her car, i borrowed it for a few weeks while i was having work done on my last car and could not even get 25mpg
                    old lady, highway driving, slushbox-mode auto trans vs. lead-foot me, stop and go traffic, tiptronic-mode..

lulz
                    hahaha i love how you put this XD

Comment

I'd say go for it man. It's an awesome tranny.

My gs-r's avg 26-30mpg (about 280 a tank before feed me light) when i drive like everyone else on the road and keep it around 60-65 on the highways...

If you drive on the highway a lot and exceed 75 (as I normally do) it will drop signifigantly.

On the plus side though your motor is bigger you aren't rockin ridiculous vtec cams that you can watch the fuel go down as you use em... LOL

I love the short gear. 2nd as stated is perfect for everyhting save a dead crawl.
                      Just make sure you do your linkage up and get everything nice and tight because with all the shifting you will be doing you can hurt the tranny pretty quick (esp. if you have a lead foot like me hehe).

Comment

haha wow, thanks for all the replies, very helpful haha.

im looking into getting one, or possibly a b16, any advice on a hydro conversion?

is it hard, or worth it? or should i just stick to cable, also, how much would the hydro conversion cost over the cable??

and btw im selling crower 403 ls cams if you know anyone who is interested, thatd be very helpful. im selling the cams to help buy a new tranny. or if you know anyone selling a b16/b17/ even b18a1 transmission let me know.

thanks a lot!

Comment

sorry to thread jack, but using a ys1 with a b16a2 which clutch disk do i need to use? the 92-93 GSR clutch and pressure plate?

Comment

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by turboda4dr View Post
                            but short gear on a none v-tec motor seem like a waste
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Colin View Post
                            Please explain your viewpoint.

Because the shorter gears are meant for higher reving engines i.e. V-tecs
                            Having it on a none v-tec motor is a waste although it is fun to drive i would say, but in essence the whole idea is pointless; just stick with your orignal tranny and call it a day.

Comment

Originally posted by TRiVDA9 View Post
                              Because the shorter gears are meant for higher reving engines i.e. V-tecs
                              Having it on a none v-tec motor is a waste although it is fun to drive i would say, but in essence the whole idea is pointless; just stick with your orignal tranny and call it a day.
                              Your logic makes no sense. Just because the vtec motors were made with a shorter geared transmission does not mean that you cannot benefit from a short geared trans on an LS motor. The GSR was the sporty version of our car, the other models were more basic and not so sporty. The gearing paired with the LS motor was chosen to be a good all around gearing. A compromise between performance, gas mileage, and how well it would pair with the average, non-sporty, driver.

Shorter gears are not meant for higher revving engines, you can run any gearing you want on any engine. The gearing you want is going to be dependent on many factors, not just redline. In the case of the vtec engines the gearing is not shorter because the engine revs higher. It's shorter because in that form it's more sporty, but more importantly it's shorter because if you do not have that short gearing you will drop out of vtec when shifting at redline. In order to fully take advantage of vtec you need the short gearing.

I can understand that some may not like it that way but I don't see at all how it's "a waste". It's a benefit in almost all respects from a performance standpoint.

Comment

Working...
                              X