Readme

Collapse
No announcement yet.

b20 vtec set up trans?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    b20 vtec set up trans?

    i just finished my motor build and i wanted to know what trans to go with which is better for my build here is a run down of the build nothing to crazy just something better than stock

    b20b block

    rs machine pistons 84.5
    stock rods shootpeen
    stock crank
    arp rod bolts
    klevit bearings
    type r water pump oil pump timing belt
    clutch net stage2 6 puck clutch set up with aluminum fly wheel

    obd2 b16 head

    new oem valves and seals
    type r springs
    crower retainers
    stock b16 cams
    skunk 2 adjustable gears
    type r intake mani
    type r throttle body
    golden eagle fuel rail
    aem fpr
    all new oem gaskets
    hytech replica headers
    greddy sp2 exhaust
    rywire mil spec harness
    p28 ecu

    thats pretty much my build now i just need to know wat trans set up to go with any sugg. will be appreciated thanks. here are some pics of the build




    #2
    how quick/fast are you looking to go, what type of racing?

    do you care about highway cruising rpm?

    your question is quite vague

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by viprtwo View Post
      how quick/fast are you looking to go, what type of racing?

      do you care about highway cruising rpm?

      your question is quite vague
      im just looking for something so when im on the highway the car pulls this is not a track car jus something for fun

      Comment


        #4
        ls si-gsr hybrid

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by strokedb18a1 View Post
          ls si-gsr hybrid
          excuse me

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by rayzda View Post
            excuse me
            Clearly he's talking about some combination of LS, Si and GSR gearing. Not very specific, but you get the point.

            Sounds like you don't have very specific needs, and in that case I'd assume you'd be fine with any of the gearing originally found on any vtec engine. Some may be better than others for various situations, and for us picky ones it's usually some combo of a couple different transmissions. For you, I'd just recommend you buy whatever fits your budget.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by colin View Post
              clearly he's talking about some combination of ls, si and gsr gearing. Not very specific, but you get the point.

              Sounds like you don't have very specific needs, and in that case i'd assume you'd be fine with any of the gearing originally found on any vtec engine. Some may be better than others for various situations, and for us picky ones it's usually some combo of a couple different transmissions. For you, i'd just recommend you buy whatever fits your budget.
              i found a gsr trans for 200 and a jdm b16 for 300 really dont know which one to go with

              Comment


                #8
                gs-r trans meaning a 92-93 (ys1) gs-r trans?

                b16 trans meaning a 89-90 (s1 or j1), or 91-92(ys1) JDM DA6 trans?

                These are quite different. if it is a s1 or j1, PASS. Don't buy it.

                If it is either ys1 trans, either will work fine for your needs, with the gs-r having a slightly closer 1st and 5th gear.

                My preference is the JDM ys1 trans. This is simply because in the US, all 92-93 DA trans have the same code (ys1) this means unless the seller knows exactly what car the trans came out of, there is a good possibility it is not a 92-93 gs-r trans, but an LS, RS, or GS as well.

                If you can verify that the JDM ys1 actually came from a JDM motor, your chances of getting the right gearing (with less miles to boot) goes up tremendously.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by viprtwo View Post
                  gs-r trans meaning a 92-93 (ys1) gs-r trans?

                  b16 trans meaning a 89-90 (s1 or j1), or 91-92(ys1) JDM DA6 trans?

                  These are quite different. if it is a s1 or j1, PASS. Don't buy it.

                  If it is either ys1 trans, either will work fine for your needs, with the gs-r having a slightly closer 1st and 5th gear.

                  My preference is the JDM ys1 trans. This is simply because in the US, all 92-93 DA trans have the same code (ys1) this means unless the seller knows exactly what car the trans came out of, there is a good possibility it is not a 92-93 gs-r trans, but an LS, RS, or GS as well.

                  If you can verify that the JDM ys1 actually came from a JDM motor, your chances of getting the right gearing (with less miles to boot) goes up tremendously.
                  yea thats what makes it hard with the ys1 all 92 93 have the ys1 stamped so if someone is selling me the trans how am i to know if its a gsr trans

                  Comment


                    #10
                    open it up and count the teeth. Seriously, that's the only accurate way

                    Comment


                      #11
                      and wha tteeth is it that we should count im also curious because i have a ys1 but not sure if its gsr or ls dude i got it from says its a gsr as he had it in his civic

                      Comment


                        #12
                        b16 trans all the way

                        Comment


                          #13
                          IMHO, been out of the game for a minute...but you can't go wrong with the ys1 GSR tranny (LS final drive for highway purposes only haha). People that know this tranny Know what im talking about, doing 65mph in 5th ur already @4400-4500 rpms. Gas guzzler

                          My setup is almost similiar to yours but i got different components/add-ons. Still runs strong and smashes out when i want to

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by jkeno112 View Post
                            People that know this tranny Know what im talking about, doing 65mph in 5th ur already @4400-4500 rpms. Gas guzzler
                            Do you know this from personal experience? I used to get 30+ mpg w/ my gsr ys1 and rebuild b17a on the freeway (traveling 75-80mph).

                            Comment


                              #15
                              yeah colin its from a personal experience. b20vtec with a gsr ys1 (blox b's, 70mm tb, 440 rc injectors, victor x manifold, an-r header and es tuning muffler) i wasn't getting anywhere near 30+mpg. it was more like 18-22 mpg

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X