No announcement yet.

b20 vtec set up trans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was getting 30+ on a stock b18a on the highway doin 55-60mph.(ys1 case, 99 sir internals)

I drove it over 6000miles across the country getting that mileage all the way.

If you drive that far though, get something with a longer 5th. :p The mileage was still great, but the damned noise of 4000rpms for 2 weeks in a row can get to you. hehe

Jkeno, was your ECU chipped?

By the Rayzda...Nice lookin build.

Comment

Originally posted by Zenmachine View Post
      I was getting 30+ on a stock b18a on the highway doin 55-60mph.(ys1 case, 99 sir internals)

I drove it over 6000miles across the country getting that mileage all the way.

If you drive that far though, get something with a longer 5th. :p The mileage was still great, but the damned noise of 4000rpms for 2 weeks in a row can get to you. hehe

Jkeno, was your ECU chipped?

By the Rayzda...Nice lookin build.
      thanks build is going slow but almost finished got 7 months to finish it baby on the way that means hurry the hell up cause i have little time left lol

Comment

ZENmachine- yeah my ECU was chipped on CROME made 215hp/150tq on PUMP gas.

Comment

jkeno: those are nice numbers. I would say your tune is most likely the difference between your mileage and mine.

mine is stock tuned for grandma, yours for power.

Colin, were you running fairly stock when you were getting the 30+ as well?

Rayzda: Well it looks reaaaal purdy. keep up the good work.

Comment

yeah, stock except bolt ons and 11:1. My mileage went down maybe 1-2mpg when I swapped back to a stock b18a, but that wasn't a surprise going from a 10k mile old motor to a 200k mile old motor....

Comment

Colin, I am about to divulge how little i know about engine internals with this next question but...

Is 11:1 more than stock CR on a b17? (I did a little search and didn't find the answer) if so how did you achieve it? Milled head?

*crosses fingers and hopes he didn't say anything stupid*

Comment

b17a came with the worst compression ratio out of any vtec engine, I still have no idea what Honda was thinking.... Stock compression ratio is 9.7:1. To put that in pespective:

LS = 9.2:1
                b16a sir1 = 10.2:1
                b16a sir2 =10.4:1
                b18c1 usdm = 10:1

I bumped my compression by installing p30 pistons, I'm not a fan of milling heads other than what is needed to make sure you've got a clean and flat surface.

Comment

Alright thanks for that. the only reason I mentioned milling the head was that I was watching the racing videos in the At The Track section here on G2IC and a few years back the guy was running a stock b18a with a milled head. Here are his specs:

Stock b18A (balanced and blueprinted)
                  JDM ITR DC header
                  Intake
                  Ecu
                  Lightened flywheel
                  Shaved .5mm head.
                  LSD and 4.78 final drive (ITR)
                  2.5" mandrel-bent exhaust all the way to the back
                  No AC, Heater and power steering remains
                  Oil cooler
                  Stock radiator
                  Redline 7500

Any idea what balanced and blueprinted mean? Does that mean he had the crank balanced and just documented the motor or something? (again, trying to not sound stupid) I was curious about the milled head in case I have to do a head gasket in the near future on my stock b18a i thought maybe it might be a way to bump the CR and get a few more horsies for cheaps.

My apologies to the OP for hijacking his thread but I he did get his question answered so hopefully this won't mess him up any.

Comment

Originally posted by Zenmachine View Post
                    Alright thanks for that. the only reason I mentioned milling the head was that I was watching the racing videos in the At The Track section here on G2IC and a few years back the guy was running a stock b18a with a milled head. Here are his specs:

Stock b18A (balanced and blueprinted)
                    JDM ITR DC header
                    Intake
                    Ecu
                    Lightened flywheel
                    Shaved .5mm head.
                    LSD and 4.78 final drive (ITR)
                    2.5" mandrel-bent exhaust all the way to the back
                    No AC, Heater and power steering remains
                    Oil cooler
                    Stock radiator
                    Redline 7500

Any idea what balanced and blueprinted mean? Does that mean he had the crank balanced and just documented the motor or something? (again, trying to not sound stupid) I was curious about the milled head in case I have to do a head gasket in the near future on my stock b18a i thought maybe it might be a way to bump the CR and get a few more horsies for cheaps.

My apologies to the OP for hijacking his thread but I he did get his question answered so hopefully this won't mess him up any.
                    na man thats cool its pretty interesting anyways

Comment

People throw around the term "balanced and blueprinted" a lot, so in reality it means different things depending on who you're talking to.

Balancing is just that, balancing the rotating assembly. Basically they just make sure that it rotates smoothly and that all the counterweights are correct. For example, if the weights are off they can drill small divots into the counterweights on the crank in order to remove small amounts of material and bring the rotating assembly back into balance. Same basic concept as having your flywheel balanced. They can also make sure parts like rods and pistons weigh the same. How far they go, the tolerances used, and how exactly they go about it just depends on the shop and the situation. Balancing the rotating assembly allows for smoother rotation which can allow for higher revs and reduce wear on things like bearings. The engine will come balanced from the factory but if you're adding new parts it's a good idea to do it again.

Blueprinting is basically just specing everything out to make sure it's good. Line boring, checking clearances for various parts, mill, deck, hone... it can entail a lot or a little depending on the situation.

Milling the head is a legit method of raising compression, but usually not the best option if there are others, and the more you mill the more you run into problems, such as your mechanical timing being off. Gude used to make a head package which significantly up'd the compression and did so entirely by milling the head (I may be slightly mistaken about that, they may have also welded the combustion chambers on the head to raise compression, so don't quote me on it). I had a friend who had this head package on his DA and was pushing over 160whp with only the head package and a couple bolt ons. Very reliable and very powerful for the time (this was 10yrs ago).

Comment

Alright Colin thanks, that was really helpful.

So, in your opinion would milling .5 off the head mess anything up too badly if done at a decent shop that knew what they were doing?

I wouldn't really care if the thing blew up after 10 000 miles lol But if I was going though the trouble of doing the gasket I would love to get something out of it besides scraped knuckles.

Thanks again for the insight.

Comment

Unfortunately I'm not the right person to ask regarding specifics of that, I'd consult someone with some specific experience with that (and get multiple opinions). I'm not really sure at what point it becomes an issue. You're not really gonna have to worry about blowing the motor, but by milling the head you're bringing the valves closer to the pistons - depending on your clearances, that could be bad. And then there's the mechanical timing thing I mentioned - some of which can be tuned out with a set of cam gears...

I'd start by looking at aftermarket headgaskets, seems like people can pretty easily gain a 0.2-0.4 bump in compression by using a thinner headgasket w/o any issues. So that thickness would be a good place to start.

Also, you need to be a lot more specific with your numbers... "0.5" means nothing. 0.5"? 0.5cm? 0.5mm? Usually when discussing milling/decking you're dealing with thousandths of an inch I believe.

Comment

alright, awesome information.

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                            X