Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another 2.5" or 3" Piping Thread

Here is my set-up:

Fully Built B18a Block Sleeved to 84mm(2.0)
    GSR Head Stage 2 Port and Polished with Stock Valvetrain
    Greddy 4-2-1 Headers (2.5" Collector)
    Victor-X Manifold
    Blox 68mm Throttle Body (Port Matched)
    RC 440cc Injectors
    255HP Walbro Fuel Pump

My question is, should i get custom 2.5" piping since the headers are already set-up for it? or should i run different headers and get custom 3" piping to get more air flow. I know 3" piping is usually for turbo set-ups but there are some exceptions for N/A, just wondering if i need the extra .5" for mine. Would i feel much of a difference between the two?

thanks

Search. I've posted the links to TI articles on exhausts numerous times. Read through it.

Comment

My local tuner (who has a 900'ish whp civic) says that a 3" exhaust will always produce more power than a 2.5" exhaust. All the talk of 'lack of backpressure' blah blah blah is just a debate. He's done pulls on the dyno, back to back, and the 3" is always throwing down more power.

Comment

Originally posted by unified112 View Post
        My local tuner (who has a 900'ish whp civic) says that a 3" exhaust will always produce more power than a 2.5" exhaust. All the talk of 'lack of backpressure' blah blah blah is just a debate. He's done pulls on the dyno, back to back, and the 3" is always throwing down more power.
        on a turbo car yes. if he thinks a sub 2.0 ltr car will always make more power with a 3 " exhaust he's full of shit.

http://www.team-integra.net/sections...p?ArticleID=47

There is science behind exhaust systems. It's not just slap a pipe on and go.

http://www.team-integra.net/sections...sp?ArticleID=2
        Last edited by icemanGSR; 07 Jun 2010, 16:57:41.

Comment

Originally posted by unified112 View Post
          Just because your local tuner's car pulls more power with a 3" exhaust doesn't mean every car will. And of course his car will pull more with a 3" exhaust if his engine build calls for it. That is obvious.

You determine size of your exhaust based on your engine build, not on what others have on their car.

Comment

I'll read those links when I get home, reading from the phone is no fun.. but if the links are talking about 3" not having enough backpressure, etc etc.. why does running open header put down more power than with an exuast of any diameter? Surely there isn't huge amounts of backpressure running open header.

I'm not trying to argue or be a dickhead, so dont go on the deffensive and freak out... I'm simply relaying information that I have been told, and that I believe to be true. I hate misinformation, and would like to know the correct answer, so I can be informed of truths and not hear-say. So let's keep this discussion civil and try to provide info to back up our arguements.

Here is a link off HT that shows a prelude, tuned for 2.5", and shows gains from doing nothing more than swapping to a 3" exhaust. It wasn't re-tuned or anything. I had a link showing the same for a b16 but can't find it right now... when I get home I'll read your links, and also try to find the other one I was talking about... in the meantime, here is this one: http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2197695

Comment

I highly suggest not quoting honda tech. There is more misinformation on there than fox news. Where did you get your information about open headers producing more power than systems?

read the links. there are more you can find on there.

Comment

Working...
              X