upgrading valves and valve springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

upgrading valves and valve springs

ive started by learning what they do and theyre purpose and whats good and bad but... when it comes to upgrading them... im clueless.

i have no idea how to determine what kind of valves and springs would right for me... anyone have any input as to what i should be looking for or what would be a good set up for a dd/spirited driving...

If you're using stock cams, then stock springs will work.

If you're getting an aftermarket set of cams (Skunk2, Jun, Crower, etc) then I would just get the springs from the same company as the cams.

Springs are only made to compress 'so much' (The bigger the cam, the more the spring will compress)... Match them to whatever type of cam you're going to use.

Comment

thanks, that makes sense... what about the valves?

Comment

Stock valves are good for 500whp or so.. there's no real need to switch them out unless they're bent or showing signs of wear. But you could always opt for some flat-faced valves and bump up your compression.. though it only adds about .2 of a point. I can't speak for many brands.. I myself run ITR valves, and my bro has the Skunk2 flat faced valves.

Both seem to work well and do their job and we've had no valve related problems. Whichever route you decide, if you change out a valve you're going to have to have the valve seat re-done on the head to ensure there is a perfect seal. Or just slap the new ones in, just know that there will be blow-by.

Comment

Originally posted by unified112 View Post
          Stock valves are good for 500whp or so.. there's no real need to switch them out unless they're bent or showing signs of wear. But you could always opt for some flat-faced valves and bump up your compression.. though it only adds about .2 of a point. I can't speak for many brands.. I myself run ITR valves, and my bro has the Skunk2 flat faced valves.

Both seem to work well and do their job and we've had no valve related problems. Whichever route you decide, if you change out a valve you're going to have to have the valve seat re-done on the head to ensure there is a perfect seal. Or just slap the new ones in, just know that there will be blow-by.
          ok thats cool. it wouldnt hurt to change out the valves to new oem ones... im sure that theyre still the same ones from the factory so 20yrs later, maybe its time for change...

Comment

Working...
          X