clutch or tranny problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch or tranny problem?

ive got almost 150,000 miles and my clutch is starting to go to shit. it doesnt slip while driving or anything like that. but as far as starting on a hill, its not worth a damn. the friction point isnt even hardly there. so i know that the clutch is going bad. but im worried that maybe my tranny is going too. this is the problem: when shifting from second to third, and third to fourth, they will shift without clutching. and they dont grind or even show any signs of problems. they just go into gear like they should, and pull afterwards just like normal. i noticed this one night when it was raining and my foot slipped off the clutch. so i tried this with my gears to see if i was losing gears or what. is this a problem with my tranny? or just because my clutch is bad? im going to buy a new clutch, and replace it myself. thats not a problem for me. but should i start looking for a new transmission? i figure i might as well do both at the same time if i've got to. this might make me sound like a dumbass, i dont know. but the only transmission i've worked on was in a 95 jeep wrangler, and that wasnt too bad. thanks in advance for any help.

When you release your clutch pedal, where is the engagement point, down low, near the middle, or up high? If it is too high, your barely getting full pressure from the pressure plate against your clutch disk to the flywheel. This can cause the scenerio you described, that and a near totally worn clutch disk.

Comment

its up pretty high..when the clutch is almost let fully out.

Comment

Well, there's your problem, simple adjustment.
        Last edited by Sam92Teg; 30 Oct 2005, 01:41:56.

Comment

good deal. thanks.

Comment

i have the same problem where my friction pt is really high ... 90 integra

i tried to adjust the cable in the car but it remains very high....
            is there anything else that could cause this problem?
            bad throw out bearing?
            wrong clutch?
            incorrect cable length?

my car has a b18b swap in it so im not sure why it is like this..

Comment

Working...
            X