Is it possible..Oil Dip stick??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible..Oil Dip stick??

Is it possible that my oil dip stick is in max but really my oil level is low? well, my car burns oil but not a lot. i always have to add oil at least every two weeks or even every week sometimes after hard driving. after I changed my oil about a month ago my oil level hasnt' gone down eversince. it's weird, my car is never like that. today, going to work my for some reson my VTEC wasn't kicking in. when i got to work i let the car set for a couple of hours then i came back out checked the oil and then oil level is still in max. I dont know what is going on.

You have nothing else to go by really, without hooking something up to the car, so gonna have to say the dipstick is right. Hard driving will definitley be the time when you burn oil on a higher mileage motor.

VTEC solenoid maybe? No CELs?

Comment

Also, I forgot to mention, when i changed my oil last month I put almost 4 quarts in it and when i checked the oil level the next day it was way pass the max limit, i mean that level was way up there. i say about almost an inch pass from the max level. i had no choice but to drain some oil out. but how could that be? 4 quarts is what recommended right and thats what i used. WEIRD!!

Comment

If you left the old oil filter in that would explain it.

Comment

yeah, did you change the oil filter, and if so did you check your oil level before or after you started the car.

Comment

yeah, i changed the oil filter and everything. I even took the car out of jack before i checked the oil level. i started the car checked the oil again and everything seems okay. the oil level was fine until i checked the next day. i was thinking of changing my oil again and see how much oil i have after i drain everything.

Comment

You should fill it with 3qts then run the motor to fill the filter and CHECK it before topping off to the correct level. Don't just assume you just add 4 qts. Full filter is nowhere near 1qt, so something else happened there it would seem.

The guy before me said he changed the oil every 2K and the filter every 4k, or every 2nd oil change. That's an interesting plan.

Comment

a real honda filter will take almost a quart. different filters take different amounts because the insides are less and cheaper for the manufacture to produce, i remember about 6 years ago where a tech at a shop i was working at cut apart 5 different filters and the oem one was amazing compared to the rest.

point in fact: always use a honda filter.

Comment

I just put in 4qts and sometimes it may go slightly higher than the top mark but it's within acceptable bounds. The car burns it off anyway.

I remember once though I didnt' change the oil filter and then I put in 4qts... Big mistake. There was definitely a bit too much oil so I had to drain and do it all over again =\

Comment

They just came out with a new OEM model of filter that replaces the old one, and it is much smaller than previously. The OLD filter would probably hold nearly a quart, but the new one is about 30% smaller. I only use OEM filters too.

Comment

i have been using the same k & n oil filter for years now and this is the first time i ran in to this problem. there was nothing different i did from the last time i changed my oil. i used the same filter, same oil and same procedure as always. yeah, its kinda frustrating.

Comment

you have been using the same oil filter for years?! are you saying the same filter reused, or the same type of filter?

Comment

c'mon now.......... brand new oil filter everytime but same type. =)

Comment

phenominon

u ahv an oil pan or oil plate....j/k

Comment

Working...
                            X