Valve seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve seals

I've already taken my B18A1 head into school and removed the valve springs, retainers, and valves themselves. Before I hot tank the head I need to remove the valve seals and the steel surface the spring sits on to protect the head. I've gotten a few of them off but they are a pain. I know now that I need to buy a new set but is there an easier way of getting those off without just taking a screwdriver to them? I've just been prying them off ...

I did a search but all I ever came up with was stuff just about building lsvtec heads and just talking about springs ... this is NOT a vtec head just as a reminder. I'm sure it's similar but still there was no info regarding the removal of the seals.

Thanks,

Bret

None of the seals on any car are reusable. Gaskets possibly (not all either), but seals are a one time deal.

Comment

axle seal...j/k

Comment

I know they can't be reused. The ones are totally destroyed that I did get off. I was wondering if anyone who has done this before knew of any tools or ways of getting them off easier. Does Honda have a specialty tool to do this?

Comment

if your doing what im pretty sure your doing, i use a pick and pop them off, are you using a valve spring compressor or not...that helps. idk about non vtec ones but, i know the vtec one i had to get get from dealer, MAC or SNAP-ON didnt have the proper one.

Comment

I know what you're talking about those valve stem seals are glued on i think. It just takes time and effort to get them off. I used vise-grips.

Comment

Vice-grips or pliers should work fine .. the seals aren't glued on, they have a rubberized surface on the inside which clips down onto the guides. Make sure when you replace them they go on perfectly straight!

Comment

Before I hot tank the head I need to remove the valve seals and the steel surface the spring sits on to protect the head.
                These are called valve spring seats
                14775-PR4-A00 SEAT, VALVE SPRING List Price 3.19 each
                found those on www.acuraparts247.com I don't see a specialty tool in the manual for removing or installing the valve spring seats but there is one for installing the valve guide seals. the part number from the manual is listed below. At that price for the valve seats i'd say be as careful as you can and if you do damage one or two they won't be expensive to replace.
                Valve guide seal installer: 07GAD-PH70100

Comment

I have the springs and valves already out, the seals were still on top of the guide. The seats look great, no signs of anything wrong with them at all. I am redoing my head since I can't drive my car until June(no license right now.) It's getting the valve guides knurled(sp?) and reamed, a 3-angle valve job is being performed as well. All work is being done myself at a machine shop in my school for auto engine rebuilding and machining(MVCTC, vocational school associated with Skills USA).

Comment

Working...
                  X