Power Steering Fluid and leaks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Steering Fluid and leaks.

I have a leak in my power steering somewhere. Just don't know where it is. Anyway I bought Lucas brand power steering and stop leak fluid. It is supposed to help stop small leaks and recondition the rack. Before I use it, does anyone know if this will be okay to use? I know Honda/Acura power steering is different. You can't just use any power steering fluid. So would this be safe to use?? It says it is safe for all vehicles, but I just want feedback from others who might have used this.

FYI, Honda power steering systems are very different. If you or the previous owner used ATF, you will ruin the seals and not even 100 gallons of stop leak will fix it. It is just better to buy the seals and replace them. I doubt that the Lucas fluid is formulated to work with all power steering systems.

Comment

Had a similar problem before. The hardlines leading towards what looks like a proportional valve, located on the steering rack and above the downpipe either rusted out or just broke down with age. Leaking fluid would drop on the down-pipe and would emit a feint white colored smoke. My mechanic replaced the hardlines; no problems since then. As a stop-gap measure I topped-up the reservoir with Bardahl power steering fluid. The container says that it is compliant/meets Honda specs.

Comment

Working...
      X