Weird buzzing noise HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird buzzing noise HELP!

My 91 GS is driving me crazy right now with this noise. Its like a buzzing tinny sound, that ONLY happens when the car is IN GEAR (any of them) and ACCELERATING. If im idling nothing, if i rev the engine in neutral-nothing, as soon as I let off the gas in gear it stops happening even though Im still moving. If I throw it in neutral while moving it stops and I can rev the engine while rolling in neutral and it wont do it then either. Doesnt matter what speed Im going and what gear Im in but it will do it every time Im on the gas accelerating, and it sounds louder the more I floor it. It almost sounds like a loose exhaust heat shield but it only does it while accelerating in gear but not revving so Im totally lost. I even jacked the car up yesterday and had my friend put the car in gear and rev the engine so the wheels would turn but I couldnt get the noise to happen. Anyone have any clue wtf is going on??

chipped final drive?

just a guess, i really dont know

Comment

Some more info to add: Doesnt make the noise in reverse, sounds worse in 1st and 2nd. I put the car in first with the ebrake on and slowly engaged the clutch while adding gas, and as soon as the clutch engauges it makes the noise. Sounds almost like a put-put-put-put but like a tinny metal sound. I thought maybe the clutch might be bad but it still grabs hard and doesnt show any signs of slipping that I have ever experienced before. Gah this sucks.

Comment

you could try flushing your tranny to see if anything gets rinsed out

Comment

do you know where the noise is coming from? if it sounds like a heat shield, it's certainly not the transmission.

Comment

I dont know exactly but it sounds like its coming from under the engine area. I was just thinking could this maybe be a bad motor mount?? How can I check for that. Cause for it to only make noise in gear with throttle applied, maybe the motor is torquing toward the back and making something vibrate. Especially since the noise doenst happen in reverse which I would think eliminates the final drive problem possibility and also would make the motor torque in the other direction. Any ideas?

Comment

definetly check your motor mounts sounds like it only happens when there ie load on your motor in a foward motion so check your mounts especially the one on the front crossmember!!! its the one that goes first usually!!
              Last edited by sexyteg13; 14 Mar 2007, 05:05:44. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
              X