• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASA91
    replied
    Originally posted by billabongrob View Post
    Congratulations! tire money!
    Thanks. We run hoosiers so it's mostly just tires, and not so much on the money side. The car has had quite a but changed since we bought it last year. It still needs a different final drive, suspension tuning, ECU tuning, possibly different header, lots of bushings replaced, and working with the CoG. the biggest pain has been it still popping out of 3rd gear, which I suspect is due to chassis flex, so I'm going to add a 3 way strut bar to stiffen up the front of the chassis.

Leave a comment:

• billabongrob
    replied
    Congratulations! tire money!

Leave a comment:

• NASA91
    replied
    Well with gofundme help, we managed to make it to NASA National Championships, and despite numerous headaches, setbacks, and so forth, were able to win the ST6 National Championship.

Leave a comment:

• NASA91
    replied
    Race #2 of 3 at Mid Ohio last weekend. Crazy start scenario, caused the car to get back up. Likewise, the car had an pretty hard impact with another car on track so I'm picking up a new bumper reinforcement and bumper cover next week. We won the 3rd race.

We weren't going to be able to run NASA National Championships, but some of our friends paid to have us go, so we are running at NASA Championships at Mid Ohio. We are frantically trying to get the 3rd gear trans issue remedied in the annoying stock S1 trans. I swapped in a new(used) 15/16" brake booster and master cylinder to try to improve the brakes, which have some issue. We are borrowing some 15x9s up front to run 225/45 Hoosiers for Nats. We are ATTEMPTING to have a friend put a Quaife LSD in, however we didn't have a budget to run a 4.93 final drive . Hopefully we can piece it together in time to be ready for Nats. I'm hoping we can be competitive and run 1:40s at Mid Ohio, however it's going to be tough to get a championship without a final drive unfortunately. We will try though.

Leave a comment:

• NASA91
    replied
    1st race in car. Need more setup and seat time in the car as we had only 3 laps in it for driving experience in the new car. Brakes are overboosted and shift linkage has slop for days causing an errant 2 to 3 multiple times.

Leave a comment:

• NASA91
    replied
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=Zobt7OP_aRw

Leave a comment:

• NASA91
    replied
    Well it was a nightmarish task, but we FINALLY got the car done enough to be halfway setup and compliant to race this past weekend. I ended up going with the Special Purpose Ground Control Koni Race setup which has worked out nicely so far. The car still needs a LOT of work, especially the brake booster/master cylinder, wonky transmission, and pedal adjustments, but at least it is in a decent orientation. Managed to race to finish the car up at tech to be legal(battery mount, covering holes, roll bar padding, etc). Started last on Saturday, as the car missed warm up and qualifying, but marched up to 2nd. Problems with the 2 to 3 shift occurred numerous times, which ultimately cost us the chance at 1st, but the car was pleasantly quick for my brother having ZERO seat time in it. Sunday had 2 races, which we managed to take 1st in both races. The tire pressures were poorly set up on Saturday due to the rush, so it really destroyed our already aged hoosiers, so the tires really fell off a cliff on sunday. 3 races, 2 wins, 1 2nd place. Not bad for a debit with a car with no seat time or testing before hand...still had the rusted rotors from 2016 on it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NASA91; 13 Aug 2019, 17:12:45.

Leave a comment:

• NASA91
    replied
    Originally posted by boltonhonda View Post

The 92-93 trans runs the larger input shaft like the 94-01 Integras so you can swap the internals with a wide range of gear sets, but you could run a 90-91 trans if you use a clutch for that age range and make sure you use the right pilot bearing.
    Well our car is a 91 with the S1 trans. Can the 92-93 YS1 trans swap on directly? If so the YS1 has a 5.1 final drive available and more LSD choices.

Leave a comment:

• boltonhonda
    replied
    Originally posted by NASA91 View Post

Quite honestly, I have clue as of right now. B18 cable trans are incredibly confusing and have a surprisingly bare market. That and I believe the 90-91 have a 4.4 final drive and different splines compared to the 92-93 trans with 4.26 final drive or am I wrong. Are the 92-93 trans interchangeable with 90-91?

I know Ruck uses a Kaaz LSD on his FP Integra, but I'm not even sure we can afford an LSD, even if one exists. We will likely run a 4.9 or 5.1 final drive which also seems to be a pain to find for this transmission specifically. To counteract for a lack of LSD, I'm just going to run stiff rates....thinking 1200 rear, 1000 front.
    The 92-93 trans runs the larger input shaft like the 94-01 Integras so you can swap the internals with a wide range of gear sets, but you could run a 90-91 trans if you use a clutch for that age range and make sure you use the right pilot bearing.

Leave a comment:

• NASA91
    replied
    Originally posted by N FUL FX View Post
    What LSD options are you considering? I don't think there are many.
    Quite honestly, I have clue as of right now. B18 cable trans are incredibly confusing and have a surprisingly bare market. That and I believe the 90-91 have a 4.4 final drive and different splines compared to the 92-93 trans with 4.26 final drive or am I wrong. Are the 92-93 trans interchangeable with 90-91?

I know Ruck uses a Kaaz LSD on his FP Integra, but I'm not even sure we can afford an LSD, even if one exists. We will likely run a 4.9 or 5.1 final drive which also seems to be a pain to find for this transmission specifically. To counteract for a lack of LSD, I'm just going to run stiff rates....thinking 1200 rear, 1000 front.
    Last edited by NASA91; 01 Apr 2019, 15:04:38.

Leave a comment:

• N FUL FX
    replied
    What LSD options are you considering? I don't think there are many.

Leave a comment:

• NASA91
    replied
    Yeah that was it then. TWS was home turf. RIP
    looking at ST4 myself.
    one of stu's vids.
    https://youtu.be/rNBJdjn7vlc

ST4 has really taken off. ST5 is lacking, but I know quite a few PTE guys going ST5. PTE wasn't popular nationally, but in our Great Lakes region, it was the biggest and most successful class, with contingency nearly every weekend. I'm not a fan of ST6 rules, but it's basically what we are left with, so we are going to send it. I think we will still have a solid field of cars.

ST4 would be interesting in a DA. Totally different build set to compete at the national level. I wouldn't even begin to comprehend where to start with that one, but it would have to be similar to Ruck's FP Integra with more power or forced induction/swapped. At the national level it's pretty damn quick. Way out of our budget lol.

Here was the daily driver TTE miata we have that we drive to the tracks. This session was hilarious, because we had run Pitt Race before where most others had not, so they were learning the track but we wanted a good grid spot determined by warm up times. Excuse the unsmooth driving and understeer, as the car was a whole new setup that got better.
    https://youtu.be/k8T53Tx38X4

Leave a comment:

• billabongrob
    replied
    Yeah that was it then. TWS was home turf. RIP
    looking at ST4 myself.

Leave a comment:

• NASA91
    replied
    If I am not mistaken I nearly pulled the trigger on this car when it was still in Texas. Wide wheels. I run the advanti on mine as well. Look forward to seeing more race car stuff.
    May have been. Old owner was Stuart Hembree and he ran in NASA texas region I believe. Seems like he did events at TWS and MSR, amongst a few other places. We will likely lighten this car quite a bit then add the max of 250lbs of ballast....and maybe faux ballast, to make it more of a power car for racing purposes.

the most annoying part is being penalized for having adjustablre ball joints and adjustable rear upper control arm, so I have some factory arms I have to put on to get back 0.2 modifier points back.

2450-2549lbs: 18.0:1 P:W ratio=136-142hp...AVERAGE hp...not peak, so peak power would probably be 140ish-146ish.

Heavier still would be:
    2550-2649lbs: 17:9:1 P:W ratio=142-148 avg hp, so about 146ish-153ish peak hp. Of course at that point, I could just go 2650lbs and be 17.8:1 and go 1 more hp.

kind of leaning to the 2550-2600ish mark as I could run the car at near peak honda challenge 2 hp(150hp), but be way overweight for HC2....which would be somewhat fixed by removing 250lbs of ballast, although I highly doubt we get a DA integra down to the 2200lb min weight WITH the driver for HC2, however the Mid Ohio track record in HC2 is only 1:38.9, so even being underprepared, the car should be near or surpass that time even if it is technically 150ish lbs overweight, but hard to say since HC2 is on slower Toyo RRs and much narrower 7" wheels. We have done a billion events, so we know 10lbs of weight in an underpowered, but light miata is worth .10-.12 seconds at Mid Ohio. 250lbs would be like 3 seconds/lap...in the miata. This will be a heavier and powerful car, so hypothetically less sensitive to weight changes, but we shall see. Fast ST6 cars will likely be in 1:40s...probably even less. I know if we built our Miata to ST6 rules, it would definitely be sub 1:40.

I get the feeling ST6 will eventually set times faster than PTE, despite ST6 having a raw P:W of 18:1 compared to PTE's 16.5:1, which is what Huffman ran from here. The rules have a lot of holes and questions so I have to clarify with Greg Greenbaum as to what is and is not allowed.

some of my other questions are if traction bars are allowed as it would save an enormous amount of weight and space from the front end, and likely perform better. It is not well stated in the rules.
    Last edited by NASA91; 17 Mar 2019, 17:17:14.

Leave a comment:

• billabongrob
    replied
    If I am not mistaken I nearly pulled the trigger on this car when it was still in Texas. Wide wheels. I run the advanti on mine as well. Look forward to seeing more race car stuff.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X