No announcement yet.

BLKACK1's Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heres the thing with that. I do wear glasses and last track day I kept having problems with my glasses trying to occupy the same space as the padding in my helmet. now, sure I could get contacts or i could also trim the foam around in side the helmet. but i figgure an open face helmet might give me a little clearance in that area. Secondly what realy seem to bother me was having it in front of my mouth. It almost reminds me of those ski masks that cover your face and also which I happen to find extremely annoying to the point where it starts to draw my attention from what it should be on.

Im not hell bent on an open face but right now it seems to be the most favorable.

as far as what sanctioned races require what kind of helmet, i have no clue. most of the racing im able to do right now is limited to open track days. not realy racing, just a bunch of gear heads pushing there cars as hard as they can and they just happen to require a helmet

as much as I would like to dedicate more of my life to actull racing. that is sadly not in the cards anytime soon. so ill have to make due

Comment

• Yeah, I wear glasses too. they don't sit perfect, but once you have 'em on and start thinking about driving any thought of your glasses disappears. Your logic makes sense but might be worth looking into regarding the rules. You might quickly realize you'd like to do some form of more formal time trials or even LeMons racing...
      Track Project DB2 #896
      LeMons Project DA9
      My OG DA9, Wrecked, Stripped, R.I.P

Comment

• i dont know how to attach images with this weird new g2ic style but from the pics posted of your gauge cluster, your tach is gonna be off by at least 2000rpms. i did the same accident/mistake to a previous gauge cluster i had and noticed it after i re-installed and drove around with it. you'll need to pull the gauge cluster back out and use your finger to dial/push the needle past the redline. you'll need to add a little force to do it. don't touch the face of the gauges or you're screwed cause of the oils from your finger can be left behind from the contact on the face of the gauge.

the rpm needle should be resting @ the "zero" line.

great build...keep it coming!!!

Comment

• Glynn, you were right about the door glass. I had the door panels off today while installing some moldings and got the opportunity to try and tighten up the driver side glass as it felt loose. At first I thought it was just those padded guides but after adjusting those and it still being loose I noticed that metal piece (not sure what it's called, maybe a guide?) was broken.
          Track Project DB2 #896
          LeMons Project DA9

Comment

• Colin: Did a little digging on the rules for the sanctioning bodies

Originally posted by SCCA General Competition Rules
            Crash helmets approved by the Snell Foundation with Snell sticker 2000 or later Special Application (SA2000), or by the SFI with a SFI Sticker 31.1a for open faced helmets and a SFI sticker 31.2a for closed faced (if purchased prior to 12/31/04), SFI 31.1 (if purchased after 1/1/05), or by the FIA standard 8860-2004, or British Standards Institute BS6658-85 type A/ FR. The back of each driver’s helmet shall be labeled with a minimum of the driver’s name. The use of a head and neck support system is highly recommended. As of 1/1/12, head and neck restraints meeting SFI 38.1 or FIA 8858 will be required. Accident damaged helmets should be sent by the driver or his or her representative to the Snell Memorial Foundation, 3628 Madison Ave., North Highland, CA. 95660 (ph) 916-331-5073 (attn. Edward B. Becker). Details of the accident should be included. Freon based total loss helmet cooling systems are not allowed.
            Originally posted by NHRA Rulebook
            10:7 HELMETS
            As outlined under Class Requirements, drivers in all classes must
            wear a helmet meeting Snell or SFI Specifications. Snell K98 is
            acceptable in place of any Snell M-rated helmet.
            SFI Spec 31.1A = Snell SA, open-face helmet
            SFI Spec 31.2A = Snell SA, full-face helmet
            SFI Spec 41.1A = Snell M, open-face helmet
            SFI Spec 41.2A = Snell M, full-face helmet
            Drivers of all cars running 13.99 or quicker must use a helmet
            meeting Snell K98, 2000, 2005 or SFI Spec 31.1A, 31.2A,
            31.1/2005, 41.1A, 41.2A, or 41.1/2005.
            Effective Jan. 1, 2008, full-face helmet mandatory for drivers of all
            cars 9.99 or quicker. Goggles prohibited; visor mandatory. See
            Class Requirements for additional requirements.
            Drivers of cars running 7.49 or quicker must use a helmet meeting
            Snell SA2000, SA2005 or SFI 31.1A, 31.2A, or 31.1/2005 Specs.
            See Class Requirements.
            Didn't check NASA, but I assume they're along the same lines. Personally though, after that trackday with Glynn, I'm definitely going with an open face.

Dave: I'm pretty sure he told me his tach was off too, haha

Comment

• There ya go, thanks for digging up that info mrpenny!
              Track Project DB2 #896
              LeMons Project DA9

Comment

• Originally posted by mugendaxsi View Post
                i dont know how to attach images with this weird new g2ic style but from the pics posted of your gauge cluster, your tach is gonna be off by at least 2000rpms. i did the same accident/mistake to a previous gauge cluster i had and noticed it after i re-installed and drove around with it. you'll need to pull the gauge cluster back out and use your finger to dial/push the needle past the redline. you'll need to add a little force to do it. don't touch the face of the gauges or you're screwed cause of the oils from your finger can be left behind from the contact on the face of the gauge.

the rpm needle should be resting @ the "zero" line.

great build...keep it coming!!!
                HAHA, I was waiting for someone to point that out. leave it to the OG to catch it.

Yeah, I came to figure that out after I took it for its first drive and I bounced of the rev limiter at 6k I had it pulled out, fixed and all back together in an hour the next day.

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                Yeah, I wear glasses too. they don't sit perfect, but once you have 'em on and start thinking about driving any thought of your glasses disappears. Your logic makes sense but might be worth looking into regarding the rules. You might quickly realize you'd like to do some form of more formal time trials or even LeMons racing...
                oh how I would love to do some leMons racing one day one day.

yesterday I went by a motorcylce shop and a couple of racing shops in order to get a fell for what size I need.

I was able to come a decision on a couple different fronts

Size:
                a medium size helmet seems to fit best, a little snug at the cheeks, but with a large. ive got a good amount of movent around my scalp and face. I was told by the the guy at checkpoint racing that I dont want that and that it shoould be nice and snug on the top of my head

Open/Closed face:
                as much as I was thinking that an open face helmet would help ease the glases issue, I was dead wrong. After trying on different open face helmets at the motorcycle shop and one at checkpoint(the 2 are way different by the way) both would lift my glasses way off my nose due to slight differences in the pading then the open face. even with puting on my glasses and spreading the helmet to put it on. it would still do it

I also found even though it is a tight fit almost all the closed face ones would atleast keep my glasses on my nose and Im sure over time the padding will compress a little bit

I also tried one of the HJC helmets on and was pretty comfortable but im going to try some more today and make a purchase soon

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                Glynn, you were right about the door glass. I had the door panels off today while installing some moldings and got the opportunity to try and tighten up the driver side glass as it felt loose. At first I thought it was just those padded guides but after adjusting those and it still being loose I noticed that metal piece (not sure what it's called, maybe a guide?) was broken.
                let me guess, it was the rear one. to be honest that really the only one that I see braking. I just replaced all cause Im anal retentive

Originally posted by mrpenny View Post
                Colin: Did a little digging on the rules for the sanctioning bodies

Didn't check NASA, but I assume they're along the same lines. Personally though, after that track day with Glynn, I'm definitely going with an open face.

Dave: I'm pretty sure he told me his tach was off too, haha
                See above posts

:updates: So ive been putting off tracking down a clunking sound out of the front drivers side for quite some time now so with the track day approaching quickly, i figured it was time to buckle down and get it done.

now I had a distinct feeling that it was coming from the traction bar, after trying to get it to make the sound on the lift, I got nothing. so after looking really closely at it I notice that the one the left side where the support bolt goes up into the frame there appears to be a circular mark where it looks like the traction bar was sliding back and forth about a 1/8". Something that was NOT on the right side

well after finding that out. I also come to discover due to varius encounter with steep driveways and parking blocks that the tubing the bolt goes into is pushed in just enough I can't get a socket in there to tighten it up to fix it sadly I had to take the angle grinder and a cutting wheel to my full race bar so I could get a socket on the bolt after all was said and done though I was able to tighten the bolt and got the clunk to go away

no pics, that way it never happened

Comment

• Its been awhile since I have been on.

Sooo...

MMMM red needles. You knw I love this mod.

CLiffs on Helmet, reading hurts my head today.

Comment

• here's your Cliff notes, Sukka

its a Bell M4, and its just about perfect fitment wise and my glasses dilemma is not even close to being a problem, they fit perfectly with a little lifting of the arms off my ears

6 Days and counting, starting to get excited

Comment

• 2 days ago you called and said you would call me back in 2 minutes.

!!!

Comment

• sorry man, work has pretty much kicked me in the groin for the last 2 days strait. when I got of the phone with you it was cause of work

Ill Call you tomorrow, little cry baby bitch l

Comment

• LOL!
                          Nice pick up man! I really wish I could roll out there with ya next week

Comment

• Originally posted by BLKACK1 View Post
                            sorry man, work has pretty much kicked me in the groin for the last 2 days strait. when I got of the phone with you it was cause of work

THats hurtful Glynn

Comment

• Originally posted by Deceptakhan View Post
                              2 days ago you called and said you would call me back in 2 minutes.

!!!
                              Originally posted by BLKACK1 View Post

LMAO!!! what are friends for...

Comment

• Man that was a blast yesterday!

I have some pics, though I am a shitty camera man limited by a point and click.

Arrival

Suited up

After the S turns

Holding off the Porsche

RIght before the 60mph spin, chasing the R8 into a turn

We meet again

Pitting

50mph corner
                                otobucket.com/albums/r258/deceptakhan007/P6050041.jpg[/IMG]
                                End of stright

Comment

Working...
                                X